Why would anyone buy the more expensive milk?

That’s way too much effort. I was too lazy to finish reading the list of ingredients.

Re: OP

Because Publix is out of the house brand whole milk, so it’s either Mayfield ($$$) or skim milk (no thanks).

It’s a lot simpler if you don’t bother with the bread crumbs on top.

Not bothering to click the link…

Is it a baked Mac & cheese? Cuz that’s a different animal than the stovetop stuff.

1 Like

More than three steps. So, yes baked, after some stove top work.

A box of Kraft, half a stick of butter, and 1/4 cup of milk is even easier.

I mostly make it myself, but it’s faster to make Kraft.

Mine is better, but Kraft is good. I kind of don’t even think of them as the same food though. (Sort of like regular chili & Cincinnati chili. They have the same name but not really the same thing.)

Also Kraft is saltier. I don’t eat a lot of salt in my diet, and sometimes I get a sudden craving for salt. Especially if I’m under the weather. Kraft mac & cheese will satisfy that craving.

Also, nutmeg has no place in macaroni & cheese. Nor breadcrumbs. Use Kretchmer’s toasted wheat germ: easier, tastier, and healthier for the win.

Beyond those differences, my basic recipe is pretty similar to Martha’s.

Sometimes I cook the noodles in beef broth in the Instant Pot and use exclusively Swiss cheese if I’m cooking for my Swiss relatives.

Ah, yeah, milk has uses other than drinking

(and I’d love to hear what happens w/ coffee & beer. I happen to add (hot) water to my coffee (I make Americanos), but that’s about it)

Trying to think of the last non-drinking use of milk I’ve had, and I guess I’ve used it for scrambled eggs.

I use milk whenever I bake. And I bake cornbread most weeks.

1 Like

I used to think 2% was like water. But after years of my wife insisting on it for the kids, whole seems a little thick to me. Though I will drink it. But under 2% it’s too thin for me.

We just usually get the store brand. Thus, we get like five different milk brands

Stop & Shop
Shop Rite
Foodtown
7-11
Wawa

I drink too much milk. But as long as it’s really cold, I don’t have any preferences.

Here there is a house brand and a name brand of milk at most stores. The name brand is a LOT more. Hubby always said he bought the house brand bc the “use by” date was later. But that’s not universally true. Nevertheless, if I want him to do the shopping I need to live with his choices.

Yeah. As Tom & Ray would say: do you want to be right, or do you want to be happy?

Yeah, you definitely get used to any level of fat in the milk and then prefer to not deviate. I drank whole as a kid and then 2% and as I said I’m now down to 1%.

We just don’t buy it.
I can starve first, but I usually have plenty of other things to eat in the house.

Yeah, people can get used to just about anything. I now prefer Diet Mt Dew to regular.

I grew up drinking raw jersey cow milk that came from our own cow. Annually when just before the cow calved we would let the cow dry up to prepare for the calf and then skipped her milk for about a month after the calf was born and had to drink ‘store bought milk’. Pretty sure it was whole back then but even whole seemed like water compared to what we drank. We would skim about 15+% off the top to get the separated cream, but always made sure we shook the milk before pouring to avoid excess cream in the milk.

Somewhere along the line I went from whole to 2% but when my wife would get 1% it just tasted like dirty water so we stopped the downward trend at 2%.

And Thanks @Mathman, I actually heard them saying that with their accents, in my mind. I enjoyed their show.

2 Likes

When I was in summer camp, the camp got milk from the farm down the road. It was homogenized, and I assume it was pasteurized, but it was delivered twice a day in giant steel urns, and it was extremely fresh. The farm had Guernsey cows, which are very similar to Jersey cows.

That was the best milk I’ve ever had.

3 Likes

Wow, where did you get a real life picture of Ramba Ral?

I went to a talk on nutrition and they recommended whole milk because the fat in the milk binds with the nutrients in the milk, making it easier for the body to absorb those nutrients. With reduced-fat milk, the nutrients just flush right through your system without being absorbed.

2 Likes