Why is BBB so huge?

The SALT cap battle is the most entertaining political theater ever

Next to the Cook County soda tax crap, and then that Amazon tax or whatever in Seattle. Those were hilarious.

Wow - I didn’t know I was in the top .1%. I do live in one the “dark green” states in Meep’s map. I do itemize and I do get impacted by the SALT cap. I can assure you, that while I am comfortable, I am not in the top .1%, not even close, but if you’d like to set a GoFundMe in order to get me there, I’m willing to participate. :wink:

By the way - I’ve always supported the SALT cap, I argued a bunch for it back in the AO days.

1 Like

For me a key issue of BBB is that it is just a Frankenstein’s monster of combined things. I bet it wouldn’t be very hard to pass a bill solely focused on means-tested child tax credits and family leave.

1 Like

My opinion on all severe tax changes is to make them slowly. Allows people to adjust to them in ways that are best for them.

I don’t itemize anymore because the standard deduction is high enough, and my mortgage interest dropped too low. That might change with my refi, but I doubt it.

i’m being triggered!

Why would you refi to a higher interest rate???

Since you’re a long-time poster on an actuarial forum, I’m assuming that you’re not so hard up for cash that you need to refi to extend the term of your mortgage or take out extra cash, which is the only scenario I can think of where that makes sense.

However, if you just hit upon some hard times and this is exactly what you’re doing then I apologize for my incredulity.

He could refi to a larger principal balance that could result in larger total interest payments.

True, I edited my post.

I assume that most credentialed actuaries wouldn’t do that, but I have no idea DTNF’s personal circumstances.

I tend to assume that actuaries would only refi to lower their interest rate, but that’s not necessarily true.

I’ve refi’d and had my payment go up, but never my interest. Still, it’s possible.

Posting on actuarial forums, even when drastically improving their formats, does not pay the bills.
A lot of home improvements all at once, since you are dying to know.

It’s been “hard times” for 20 years.

1 Like

Yup. The interest rate drop is a big difference, and the value of my home has risen greatly enough to allow some cash out and not be subject to any further costs. But, yes, the interest portion of the monthly payment will be higher at first, then drop all the way to nothing!

It could do though, and GoA throwing some shade on my having posted > 20% of the replies :grimacing:

1 Like

Isn’t it 1 big bill instead of 51 small bills to take some advantage of Senate rules such that the 1 big bill can avoid Couture rules where as the 51 smaller bills would not avoid Couture rules? So one large bill can go through with a simple majority while 51 smaller bills would each require a 60 vote super majority before it could be voted on for passage?

Love the autocorrect suggesting the bill needed fashion advice.

4 Likes

Is it wearing white after Labor Day?? Shame!

Belt/shoes mismatch I was told.