Why doesn't the United States just break up?

While what you said is logically true, you’re definitely understating the effect of a strict lockdown based on what you’re trying to argue.

Taiwan depends heavily on imports and exports, they’ve had like what, single digit death and two digit overall cases?

All the islands can do the same, including Manhattan. The mitigation is not -50%, it’s -99.999%. So yeah, it really doesn’t matter what ND’s infection rate is if NYC goes into a full lockdown.

I agree that it’s greater than 50% but I disagree that it’s 99.999% or 99% or probably even 90% based on any measures they’ve actually taken so far.

NYC is not posting guards outside hotel rooms to ensure visitors adhere to the quarantine. They’re certainly not preventing New Yorkers who live outside of Manhattan from entering Manhattan. They haven’t shut down the bridges or tunnels. They haven’t prevented people from transiting through the state and they haven’t tried.

Could they hypothetically achieve a 99.999% reduction if they went Wuhan-style and literally welded people inside? Sure, but they’re not going to.

If NY had been its own country before Trump was born then this might be true (although I don’t think it is currently universally true of every nation on earth). But I seriously doubt that if the US were to break up that they would prevent any US born citizen of being President of any successor country if they lived in successorville at the time of the breakup.

Like if Michigan ends up in the Blue States of America and Utah ends up in the Red States of America, I seriously doubt the Red States of America would say that Mitt Romney can’t run for POTRSA on the basis of his being born in what is now BSA (Romney was born in MI).

I think what would matter would be that he was born in the USA and a legal resident of RSA at the time of the split.

Just making a point. The tone of this thread is that NY is awesome and the rest of the country sucks. The biggest POS in American political history however was born in NY. The best President in history was born in KY. Maybe NY is not as awesome as it thinks it is and maybe KY is not as bad as NY thinks it is.

Make Kentucky Great Again!

1 Like

The unconditional probability of anyone being born in NY is far greater than KY, because NY has more people.

I think only a few posters in this thread have that tone. I generally ignore such tripe.

And where someone was born doesn’t elevate or malign the whole area. That sounds like some pretty stupid thinking, and I’d have to malign a whole area’s edumacation system for putting such ideas into its populace.

1 Like

So that means … Maybe that KY must be an awesome place because with such a small population it produced a great president?

and that POS lost by a landslide in NYC, but much of the rest of the country voted for him.

NYC is not “awesome”, but we have very different views of who should be in charge of the country than the bible belt does.

Well bless your little hearts.

@Nick_Papagiorgio you seem to have a really odd disdain of nyc. yet another reason why we should just split up. it sounds like the feeling is completely mutual, so not sure why you’re accusing us of thinking we are superior.

@Nick_Papagiorgio - “bless your heart” is a condescending way for southerners to call people stupid, and yet, you accuse new yorkers of thinking we’re superior? okay, then…

“Would you mind telling me,” I began, “whether you are from—”

“Excuse me,” said he, “but that’s a question I never like to hear asked. What does it matter where a man is from? Is it fair to judge a man by his post–office address? Why, I’ve seen Kentuckians who hated whiskey, Virginians who weren’t descended from Pocahontas, Indianians who hadn’t written a novel, Mexicans who didn’t wear velvet trousers with silver dollars sewed along the seams, funny Englishmen, spendthrift Yankees, cold–blooded Southerners, narrow–minded Westerners, and New Yorkers who were too busy to stop for an hour on the street to watch a one–armed grocer’s clerk do up cranberries in paper bags. Let a man be a man and don’t handicap him with the label of any section.”

“Pardon me,” …

Well, given that NYC is part of the US, they can’t do most of that. I thought we were examining the hypothetical, if NY were its own nation, could they quarantine out the rest of what is now the US. And I think the answer is yes. If they were their own nation they WOULD have a border, with guards.

And contrarily, given that NY is NOT it’s own nation, yes, it matter to NY if a bunch of idiots want to have a massive unmasked motorcycle event in the Dakotas.

Possibly, but I doubt it. Not every national border is guarded. If the boundaries were the current boundaries of the five boroughs then that seems particularly untenable given the level of cross-border traffic that is typical. How many New Jerseyans, non-NYC New York Staters and Connecticutites cross into NYC on a given day? The ratio of daily visitors to permanent residents must be astronomical.

yep

He did it

my god…this country. can we break up now?

:bump: so, based on what was posted, they are going to try and fuck with the blue states and outlaw abortion in those too?

we really need to break up. this united states experiment is a massive failure.