Why doesn't the United States just break up?

Commuter trains strikes me as a local issue, that could be handled locally.

And there ARE commuter trains for NJ residents who work in NYC.

Right those ones are fine (well not fine, but local), but I think the US as a nation would benefit from people outside of a given metro area being able to realistically commute to said metro area. For example actuaries generally work in and around NYC + CT. Imagine if it was realistic for actuaries in CT to commute to Boston? Could create a more efficient labor force that helps drive economic growth, much like a bridge/tunnel does.

i expect people to just continue to work from home after this pandemic ends. this pandemic has proved that most desk jobs can be done at home, including mine where I didn’t think it was possible.

1 Like

yeah, companies daring to ask people to go into the office will just lose competitive edge imo

That’s fair, yeah COVID really adds a wrinkle to historical methods of government economic investment

1 Like

Trains are a 1950’s answer to a 21st century problem.

I think the WFH response to the COVID-19 pandemic proves the point.

Eh, trains are still a really efficient way to move freight, at least if energy costs matter.

And when you do need to move people… Well, I’ve done NY to Boston by private passenger car, bus, train, and plane. Train is far and away the most pleasant. And if the right-of-way into Manhattan wasn’t so messed up, it would be the fastest, too.

I’m fine with interstate highways to the extent that they actually carry interstate traffic. Most cars I see on our interstate highways have in-state license plates. With cell phone location tracking, we can determine the amount of travel that is simply passing through, neither originating nor ending in this state.

Air traffic control and FAA are good examples of things the Feds should do.

Fast trains in the US are extremely expensive and very limited. That’s an example for a regional consortium.

“Train is far and away the most pleasant.” I’m sure you anticipated that I’d say “Therefore, you should be willing to pay more, enough so the train doesn’t need gov’t subsidies”.

Why do we have to move people?

People won’t be commuting in such large numbers to those places, between those places, around those places. That’s what WFH has shown the country. CFOs are going to begin questioning any type of travel for a face to face meeting. They’ll question high office rents where desks are empty 2 or 3 days a week while the employees WFH. Conventions will fade away.

The game just changed.

Drastically.

Right, if we totally eliminated the EPA, the FDA and OSHA Trump would no longer be able to damage them.

Because countries that reduce the cost for people and goods and ideas to move around have more vibrant economies, more inventions, and generally do better than ones that leave it all up to private entities to fund that stuff.

:woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Uh… That’s sarcasm, right?

Good book so far.
By some Christmas Eve miracle, I put it on hold 12/23 for pick up, library was to be closed 12/25-1/4, and an employee dropped it off today.
.(pause intended)
Well, I happen to know the employee, and I directly asked her to do it, but miracle nonetheless.

So is the pause for reading the book or for time with your literary elf?

tourism is a big business. Imagine traveling to LA, but SF, SD, Palm Springs and Vegas all become viable swing-bys via high speed rail. That’ll mean a lot to country bumpkins who will probably ever travel to CA once in their life.

if that happens, the real estate values across the country will level out. it’s already happening with this pandemic. nyc real estate is useless! while it’s skyrocketing elsewhere.

Hyperloops for everyone!!!

Or are hyperloops just for the good little boys and girls??

Throwing this into a “what is no longer essential business?” thread.
And it’s tough to tell people that their livelihood isnt needed, but whattya gonna do?

I live in flyover country. IMO, the money CA can make from the country bumpkins who will travel to CA just because they can ride a fast train is infinitesimally small compared to the cost of building and operating such a train.

But, if CA taxpayers think it’s worth their money, go for it. Just don’t ask for any federal tax dollars when you do.

1 Like

Rail travel in the US is a pipe dream. We need to focus on electric vehicles. In the majority of the country US Citizens love to drive. We will always love to drive. I feel like dumping money into rail would most likely end up being a huge waste. I have not been shown any information or any designs that make me believe otherwise. Also after we invest all that money in rail, everyone is still going to own cars and drive them a ton so focusing on making that cleaner and more efficient is important in and of itself and doesn’t rely on having to sell Americans on anything.

1 Like