Why does the military have a code of honor?

So there’s a cheating scandal going on at West Point where a bunch of cadets who are too dumb for calculus got busted for violating the code of honor, whatever that is.

What’s confusing to me is, why have a code of honor at all? Isn’t the whole point of the military to enforce your nation’s will through the use of force and mass murder because you can’t get the other nation(s) to agree due to your culture’s lack of persuasive skills? Sounds insecure to me.

Helps with discipline

1 Like

Your focus is in the wrong direction.

The code of honor isn’t intended to be “outward” focused; it’s inward focused.

And if you think real hard about the necessary internal mechanics required for coordinated activities, that code of honor become a pretty darn important component.

And FTR, there are zero locks on cadets’ dormitory doors. Individuals are granted a small lock box to secure personal, intimate material, however.

That sounds terrible. I don’t know why anyone would ever agree to that. Why go to a school where you can’t get a lock on your door when you can go to another school where you…can?

You assume these people have a choice like that, like, say, you had. But most don’t. They want to go to a military college and nowhere else, BECAUSE of the code, the duty, the honor.

It’s also free, but comes with a few catches: hard to get into, and required military service afterward.

Why people think differently from you? Well, that’s an easy one.

1 Like

Related question: How do you prove that the code works?

Might also consider that most of what a cadet has is generally provided by the gov’t already. So personal items tend to be either small, prohibited, or of sentimental value.

Consider that the general consequence for violating the Code–especially by upper classmen–is expulsion.

And as DTNF pointed out, once you start your second year, you’ve incurred an 8-year obligation. If you get expelled, your service starts then as an enlisted soldier. Usually starting about 2 ranks lower than what your paygrade was as a cadet (if not lower).

Yeah I dunno man, I still find it weird. If you disagree with the code of honor, can you do a coup and change the rules? Because the military bombs the shit out of countries and then changes their rules. Just emulating the leaders imo.

I guess you could chat with your drill sergeant?

I think you’re just being intentionally obtuse now

In the academies, the chat would have to be with either the upper classmen (who are effectively your first and second line leaders during initial training) or the tactical officer who oversees the upper classmen.

However, good luck with that.

Care to give a few specific examples?

Also, if this is your reply to my statement, then you’re clearly missed the point of my statement and the purpose of the code.

This is the #1 reason, not an “also”

It is a strong factor, but not solely #1 for many who attend.

Another key factor is basically a guaranteed job upon graduation.

And in some cases, grad school is provided free-of-cost as well (and still drawing your full military pay).

Not to mention you get USAA, the best insurer there is.
(No I don’t work for USAA)

Any close relative in the military is enough to qualify.

Or simply enlist; no need to go to a service academy.

I assume that the code of honor and the entire mess of traditions and conventions on behavior are all part of training the military to be civilized without much conscious effort in the face of potentially being asked to do horrible things or serve under miserable conditions.

also perform felacio to higher ranked members secretly.

We get USAA because my husband’s ex wife’s deceased father served.

those growth quotas don’t reach themselves

I do not think I could be in the military. I do not subscribe to the majority of the beliefs necessary to be willing to die for my country. I’m not willing to die for much of anything. Fortunately, I’m also not in a position where the military is one of very few options available to me.

As for military academies, I knew several young men in high school who believed aspiration to West Point or the naval academy or the air force academy was noble, and strove for it. They were also the type who thought being an eagle scout was meaningful, or that chivalry was inherently good. To each their own.

I think you could have just left it at this.

Do you really not understand the things you say you don’t understand, or are you trolling? I still can’t figure it out.