When do you begin your work day?

Depends on when I wake up. I make a coffee and start checking my email. Sometimes that’s 5am, often it’s 6. But I’ll take a break for a bite to eat, and depending, sometimes I’ll work out in the morning as well. So ‘start’, early. But I don’t necessarily work right through.

Back when I went to the office daily, I’d typically get in around 7:30. People often mistakenly assumed I am an early riser/morning person. I am not. Over time I learned I hated when I’d come in and immediately got pulled into meetings, phone calls,… i like to enjoy my coffee quietly and ease into my day.

2 Likes

Girl, same.

2 Likes

i roll in 9-930 these days.

when working from home and not commuting…close to the same.

years ago, I use to like getting to the office early. Catch up on stuff that came in after I left the day before. Actually get stuff done without clients or coworkers bothering me.

One job that was about 5 miles from home, I’d get in some days at 6:30. Always made sure to send the boss an email about something silly just so she could see I was around then. (At the time there was no remote work and we didn’t have access to email at home.)

A few other jobs I did the same thing. Even when I was working in Philly, a 2-hur commute. If I was awake at 4 for some reason, I’d just leave around 4: 30 and get to work around 6;30.

These days I much rather stay in bed until I have to. However, if I’m going to need to work extra, I prefer to do it earlier than later. So I’ll start at 6 or 6;30 and still wrap up at 4:30, ringing up the extra two hours of work and still have time for my family.

At the last local office I worked at, I tended to start my day at 6:30 and leave at 3:30, hours that seemed to minimize my commute time (30 minutes in the morning, 45 in the evening, under normal circumstances) while maximizing time at my desk when I was likely to be contacted (except for a couple of folks who tended to call me late, usually getting reaching me after I was at home and plugged back in for that purpose).

The only problem with this arrangement was that I’m not a morning person.

That, combined with the fact that I didn’t work with anyone in that building (I was supporting folks in other offices around the country) led me to get permission to WFH.

Had I done more normal hours in that office (most people rolled in between 8:30 and 9), I would have spent two hours or more in the car each day.

Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door - that way Lumbergh can’t see me, heh heh - and, uh, after that I just sorta space out for about an hour.

1 Like

I mean, I’m thinking about work before I even get dressed so that should count for something…

:oh_noes:

Roll out of bed at 8:29, log in to work by 8:30.

So, I wfh 3 days a week, but on the days I do come into the office it’s like an hour commute. I’m always up at like 6 anyway to help get kids ready, but then I either can get ready for work…or just go back to sleep for an hour. And it’s a constant dilemma.

It’s kind of an ADD thing. I’m thinking about everything all at once.

I’ve never been diagnosed with ADD or ADHD but I think I’m somewhere in the ballpark. This sounds like my brain at least a chunk of the time.

I mean I’ve never been officially diagnosed but…

‘work’ day started at 4:30 this morning for some stupid reason. But, I got a school assignment done by 6am, so that was nice. I like being 2 weeks ahead in the course, currently only 1-1.5 weeks ahead and it’s stressing me out a bit. Like, I have a backup, but what about second backup?