When did you start getting "letter grades" like A, B, etc

I had the S/N/U system for grades K-3. O was never used. We might have had S+, but can’t remember. Yeah, I could go check, but that would require me to (A) care, and (B) go look - neither of which I’m interested in.

9-12, we were on a 5-point scale (A=5, F=1) with + giving an extra 0.333, - subtracting 0.333. The big sticking point was that not every teacher had the same grade scale [one had 92 = B-, which inevitably screwed a couple kids on their GPAs and class rank], so the school board decreed everyone had to use the same grading scale. Then there were “honors” classes, which, if you were in one, you got an extra point toward your GPA. [Pretty sure I’ve mentioned this before.] It’s how someone years back ended up with a school-record GPA of like 5.926 or something, and one year it caused angst because someone didn’t (couldn’t?) take an honors class for some reason and it screwed with their class rank.

I’m so glad to be done with high school.

3 Likes

Unless you’re in the popular group, HS really was the worst.

1 Like

I wish I could get graded at work like we did at school. Hopefully with class participation points. The other day in a meeting:

“Anybody have any questions or comments? Yes, BG, I figured you would…”

The high point of high school is getting out of there.
The low point of high school is what you wear.

2 Likes

lol.

Looking back, I was embarrassed at what I wore, but I also was pretty ugly and super skinny.

I had no idea where the pretty kids got their fashion sense from.

Can I get an amen?

IV-I

We switched sometime around 3rd or 4th grade. Before that we had odd letters, H was the best, E was fine, some other letter was bad.

My siblings confirmed my recollection: letter grades started for us in 1st grade. There was some other system in kindergarten that I think was the equivalent of good, fine, needs improvement

It wasn’t too bad. I certainly wasn’t in the popular group, but had a big enough “choir/theater” group to be a part of, and that was enough.

I had letter grades for academics, and a E/VG/G/S/N system (or something similar) for things like “conduct” starting first grade.

We had S/N through 5th grade then started the A-F. Similar to some posters above, honors classes were 1.2x. My senior year, I told my guidance counselor I was going to get the calculus teacher to do a computer science independent study with me so he approved my schedule with 2 study halls. Then I never did it because I didn’t want to bring my GPA down with a stupid 4.0!
I still have nightmares where they find out and tell me I never graduated high school. But I always assure myself in the dream that I’m fine because my employer isn’t going to fire me at this point for not having a HS diploma.

1 Like

I don’t dream of not graduating, but I do dream of having homework for a class I don’t even remember taking - similar to this xkcd strip

I actually can reason myself out of such a dream. I’ll vaguely recall having been in this situation before (extremely vaguely), and I’ll eventually convince myself that this HAS to be a dream, and then I’ll wake up.

It is a recurring one for me as well. I have a list of classes, which I cannot find. Can’t find the notebook I take notes for. I don’t know where or when the class is being held. Etc. It’s a crap course (English, Chemistry) I didn’t want to take anyway, but it’s a requirement.

We had something kind of like this in early elementary, but I have no recollection of when it switched to A, B, C, D, F. We also moved states when I was in elementary school, so it’s possible that’s when / why I switched. Like I said, no recollection.

Which is weird because I remember a LOT or weird dumb facts about my school experience. Like I could probably recreate my class schedules for 7th - 12th grade. I can’t remember what I had for lunch today, but I know that 7th grade chorus was 6th period alternating days with PE. I would love to figure out how to delete this information from my brain to make room for something more relevant, but there it is.

1 Like

shrooms

So do we.

(sigh) So do we.

We had O/G/S/I/U (Outstanding, Good, Satisfactory, Improvement Needed, Unsatisfactory in grades 1-3, then 4-12 was a numerical grade where 70 was minimum passing.

Our A-F grades put 60% at the bottom of the passing (D) range, up until I think algebra II or trig when our teacher made it like 93% for an A, 86% for a B, or something like that.