What's your D&D alignment IRL?

the definitions are kinda misleading.

They’re saying altruism = good, selfishness = evil
Lawful = blind loyalty, Chaotic = think for yourself

I would say lawful = law-abiding, rule-following, honorable, honest, having a code.

It’s definitely less “cool” than chaos, if that’s what you mean.

Lawful isn’t just about being loyal. It’s also about following rules and keeping promises and generally living an orderly life.

I tend towards chaotic, and really hate needless rules that get in my way. (or that get in other people’s way, for that matter.) But I understand why there are people who like order.

Having a code* that you yourself did not create, seems to be the essence of it.

If you have your own personal moral code, you’re chaotic by their definition.

1 Like

It’s not too late!
D&D is the most fun you can have, outside of sex.
Though it can be hard to find folks you really want to play with, also similar to sex.

Sort of. If your personal moral code includes “I keep my promises” then it’s not very personal.

I guess it comes down to which of the two ways you think:

It’s wrong because it’s illegal
It’s illegal because it’s wrong

1 Like

Sure, though it can be really, really annoying when everyone thinks they are above the law, and things like like “paying taxes”, “telling the truth”, “not stealing stuff”, and “doing work”, are good for the untermenschen, but not themselves.

Not to say you can’t be “chaotic good”, but I don’t know. Telling yourself you ‘don’t like rules’ is a common excuse to be an asshole.

I think this hits the nail on the head…

I think “lawful” is about religion also.

In old-school D&D, a paladin (basically a holy knight), had to be Lawful Good. And would lose his magic if he broke his god’s rules.

And historically, in many religions, God is the great Law-Maker, and the Devil is a sort of rebel without a cause (ie. Milton). And for thousands of years, the church was indistinguishable from the government (and still is in the Middle East).

These days religion is less cool, and religions that have strict laws are also less cool, and everyone hates the government anyway.

I googled and found a few alignment tests. Here’s the first I tried:

I came out as True Neutral, although I got a lot of hits on all the categories except the Evil ones

Neutral Good

This is what I expected, and how I used to play most of my D&D characters back in the day.

You Are:

Chaotic Good

Chaotic Good- A chaotic good character acts as his conscience directs him with little regard for what others expect of him. He makes his own way, but he’s kind and benevolent. He believes in goodness and right but has little use for laws and regulations. He hates it when people try to intimidate others and tell them what to do. He follows his own moral compass, which, although good, may not agree with that of society. Chaotic good is the best alignment you can be because it combines a good heart with a free spirit. However, chaotic good can be a dangerous alignment when it disrupts the order of society and punishes those who do well for themselves.

Detailed Results:

Alignment:
Lawful Good ----- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (17)
Neutral Good ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (20)
Chaotic Good ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (22)
Lawful Neutral – XXXXXXXXXXXXXX (14)
True Neutral ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (17)
Chaotic Neutral - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (19)
Lawful Evil ----- XXXXXXXXX (9)
Neutral Evil ---- XXXXXXXXXXXX (12)
Chaotic Evil ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXX (14)

Law & Chaos:
Law ----- XXXXX (5)
Neutral - XXXXXXXX (8)
Chaos — XXXXXXXXXX (10)

Good & Evil:
Good ---- XXXXXXXXXXXX (12)
Neutral - XXXXXXXXX (9)
Evil ---- XXXX (4)

1 Like

I came out chaotic neutral. But it’s a weird test. I think it’s aimed at teenagers.

It asks a bunch of stuff about your family leaders. I am currently the leader of my family. That made it really hard to answer.

It asks all sorts of questions about your town, as if that’s your most important social group. Ask about my work or my hobbies, those are the people i interact with, and who know me.

It makes a bunch of other assumptions that seem questionable.

But still, i guess it’s not too far off what i would have picked.

I don’t know what any of this means and just wanted everyone to be aware of that.

1 Like

You might be disqualified to use your current GoA handle then

3 Likes

As expected, Chaotic Good.

Chaotic Good- A chaotic good character acts as his conscience directs him with little regard for what others expect of him. He makes his own way, but he’s kind and benevolent. He believes in goodness and right but has little use for laws and regulations. He hates it when people try to intimidate others and tell them what to do. He follows his own moral compass, which, although good, may not agree with that of society. Chaotic good is the best alignment you can be because it combines a good heart with a free spirit. However, chaotic good can be a dangerous alignment when it disrupts the order of society and punishes those who do well for themselves.

Detailed Results:

Alignment:
Lawful Good ----- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (21)
Neutral Good ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (28)
Chaotic Good ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (30)
Lawful Neutral – XXXXXXXXXXXX (12)
True Neutral ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (19)
Chaotic Neutral - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (21)
Lawful Evil ----- XXXXXXXX (8)
Neutral Evil ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (15)
Chaotic Evil ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (17)

Law & Chaos:
Law ----- XXXX (4)
Neutral - XXXXXXXXXXX (11)
Chaos — XXXXXXXXXXXXX (13)

Good & Evil:
Good ---- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (17)
Neutral - XXXXXXXX (8)
Evil ---- XXXX (4)

Relevant XKCD

The IT Crowd’s episode Jen the Fredo hits on this in the most hilarious manner . . . even to the point of making an implicit claim that it’s just as good as sex (if not better!).

(Note that the above link is this episode.)