What's always in your fridge?

this needs to be in the fridge? I only use honey so I don’t know.

Lots of condiments - ketchup, couple of mustards, salad dressing, BBQ sauce, fish sauce, oyster sauce, etc etc. Diet Coke, milk (both regular and lactose free), eggs, bacon, butter, at least a few cheeses including some parmesan, pickles (the Wahlburger pickles are the bomb). There are always veggies in there but they rotate.

I’m probably forgetting a thing or three.

This doesn’t need to be in fridge. Way too salty for bacteria.

I mean it’s nearly always full. Typically we have milk, lactose free milk, creamer, butter or margarine or both, eggs, yogurt, salad greens. Usually tomatoes of some variety and carrots.

The only things that require a special trip to the store if we run out are milk and creamer.

We always have soda in the house but not always in the fridge. There are often a couple bottles of beer in the back of the fridge getting old.

Half and Half
milk
Eggs
Various condiments
A selection of cheeses
Mini fridge has soda and used to be beer, now NA beer.

Not sure if soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, and sriracha are considered condiments, but I always have these on hand along with a lime juice squirter (if there’s a better name for that, I’m all ears!). Combine with peanut butter and some water for an easy peanut sauce.

And definitely a few salsa variations too… we go through those very quickly

Yeah, i have a lot of condiments on the door, too. I also keep bottles of lemon juice and lime juice, and usually have a fresh lemon or two.

Yes, it molds over time. You can boil it and strain it, but it’s best to refrigerate it once it’s opened. Honey has preservatives in it (from the bees) and doesn’t need to be refrigerated. Honey preservatives are so potent that home made bread started with honey keeps better than home made bread started with sugar.

I usually buy a gallon of maple syrup, put about a quart in the fridge to use, and “can” the rest. I boil it, boil some glass bottles, and seal them hot. Nothing dangerous happens to maple syrup, so i don’t bother with using the pressure cooker, just boiling temps seem to work fine too keep it from molding. Heck, maybe just putting it in a clean sealed container would be good enough.

Doesn’t need to be in the fridge. I don’t use it often, and have a bottle that’s probably ten years old in the cupboard, and still fine.

Eggs
Cheese
Seltzer water
Various other drinks, including beer. Coke Zero for the wife.
Tortillas
Pickles
Lots of condiments

Milk
Eggs
Butter
Coffee
Apple juice
Yogurt
Lemon juice
Lime juice
Yeast
Brown rice
Wheat flour
Wheat germ

I buy butter at Costco and freeze all but one 4-stick box. The box that’s “in progress” lives in the fridge and the stick that’s in progress lives in a butter dish that sits on the counter (unless I’m going away for more than a day or two, in which case I’ll throw it back in the fridge).

I use Apple juice & yogurt in smoothies.

The last four items don’t require refrigeration but they keep longer if you refrigerate, so I do.

Franks hot sauce

Do you put that shit on everything?

1 Like

I put those in the condiments category. We always have those too. There might be 6 or more hot sauces at any time including sriracha. Also, mayo, worcestershire, probably at least 3 kinds of mustard…

I know most hot sauce doesn’t need to be refrigerated, but it lasts longer if you do.

Yeah, I default to putting things in the fridge. It was only recently I stopped putting soy sauce in the fridge, and I should train my brain to not refrigerating fish sauce. Fair point.

I think oyster sauce does need to be in the fridge, as they add starch to it to thicken it.

We always have fish sauce and apple cider vinegar, but those stay in the pantry at our house. We often but not always have oyster sauce, and that does go in the fridge.

It’s weird on soy sauce, we have a small bottle that we refill that’s always in the fridge door but we refill it from a big ass bottle that sits in the pantry. Yeah I know the refilled one doesn’t need to be in the fridge but it fits there and I know where to look for it.

Since we’re already kind of side-tracked here, what kind of soy are you all using? So far I haven’t found anything I like better than San-J, my local grocer usually has 2-4 varieties of that on hand. Kikkoman is acceptable. The generic stuff is not.

I tried some kind of $20 bottle once that was made in Japan in those huge wooden casks. It didn’t strike me as being any better than San-J, which is like $4.

Oh, and I have a bottle of dark soy, I don’t know what brand it is. My grocery store had two kinds and I just grabbed one. It was like $6 for a big bottle, maybe 24oz, and it’s quite good.

I’m not a soy sauce snob so probably not the best to respond. We use Kikkoman.

Occasionally we’ll buy a bottle of Tamari which I think is supposed to be an upscale soy sauce that we’ll use on sushi, but I couldn’t say which brand, it’s whatever they sell at the small Oriental Food store down the street, though they carry a bunch of different ones.

I don’t keep wheat germ around. But I refrigerate wheat flour and yeast. Brown rice I keep a jar in the cupboard, and when it empties, I refill it from a bag that I keep in the spare freezer. I keep backup flour (all purpose, bread, pastry, wheat, and cornmeal) and brown rice in the freezer.

Ditto. I have a big bottle of Kikkoman, which I like fine. I also have a small bottle of tamari, which I don’t like as much as soy sauce, but I use it during passover, as it’s wheat-free.