What media player do people use these days?

I joked a while back about using Winamp, which I don’t, but if people aren’t using that anymore, what are they using? Surely it’s not the windows media player, cause that one sucks.

I use Linux so I use something called Strawberry which is a fork of Amarok. But when I switched to that, Winamp was still alive and kicking.

But I don’t expect you normies to be using or have heard of Amarok, so if not Winamp, what are people using?

Almost all of my music is consumed via streaming service, using the default app for that service on the relevant device. I’ve drunk Bezos’ Kool-Aid, so that’s mostly Amazon Music for me; I’ve been tempted to change to Spotify like most of the cool kids seem to use, but I have a few oddball selections that I uploaded to my Amazon library (before they discontinued that functionality) that I’d hate to lose.

Almost all of my video is similarly consumed, although the precise details change as my/my wife’s interests evolve.

For actual audio or video files, generally played only on a one-off basis, I also use the default application on the relevant device. So, on a Windows 11 machine…that’s “Media Player” (which seems to be different than the older “Windows Media Player”).

If I still kept large collections of media files, and curated playlists from them, I might be pickier about how I played them.

But what player do you use to connect to the service? Do you use a program and then you type in the IP address to connect?

Actually I have no idea what I’m talking about. Is streaming kind of like connecting to a radio station in Winamp?

I guess I just use FLAC files which I usually get through large data dumps on usenet. Got a hard drive with more music on it than I could listen to in my lifetime.

I’ve still got an iPod and iTunes, which is where what remained of my old collection of CDs ended up. It’s use at this point is pretty much repeat listening to setlists to learn songs. iTunes gets updated if stuff is missing from a setlist, so it still grows slowly.

For audiobooks that I’ve ripped, I use VLC.

Other things seem to all have their own app - Spotify, OverDrive, Play Books, YouTube.
There are probably others, but these are the main ones I use regularly.

Oh. At home I’ve still got OSMC that has been running on a raspberry pi since … I think originally it was XBMC on a Raspberry Pi 2. I think it’s running on a Raspberry Pi 4 now. It’s got a hard drive attached that has a collection of movies. It’s in daily use by a couple people in the house. I’ve not watched anything on it in years.

For Amazon Music, I can use an application (“Amazon Music”) installed on a computer or a phone, or I can use a web browser. But the most common way I access the service is to verbally recite an incantation, “Alexa, shuffle my playlist, [playlist name]”, and I will hear music from whatever Alexa-enabled device happens to be appropriate.

For video streaming, I use the relevant app (e.g. YoutubeTV, or HBO Max, or…) installed on my TV, or my phone…or the embedded player built into my browser on a computer.

Yes. Once upon a time I maintained a large collection of mp3’s as a music library. Now I subscribe to a much larger library, and instead of playing locally-stored files with a particular media player (like Winamp), I use the above-described mechanisms to access that music in a manner sorta similar to how you might use Winamp to listen to a radio station online.

I should add that I also have an Audible subscription for audiobooks, and there are a few podcasts I follow occasionally. I could play that content similar to how I’ve described streaming music or video…but because I tend to listen to books or podcasts when I do my 300-plus mile drive to/from the office through areas where cell service can be erratic, I do download books/podcasts to my phone. Audiobooks get played through the Audible app (necessary due to copy-protection on Audible’s files), and I use an Android app, “Podcast Addict” to manage my podcasts.

The podcasts are generally mp3 files (or mp4 if a video podcast) and could be played with a generic audio player on the phone…but I use Podcast Addict to automate downloading new episodes / deleting old episodes and maintaining the playlist, and it’s just easier to use the app’s built-in player.

Same, but one item worth noting for people not in the streaming world: some (most/all?) streaming services do allow you to download songs/albums/playlists and store them locally on a device if you don’t want to be using bandwidth to listen to music in some situations.

If you’re talking about burning tunes off of a CD or tape onto your machine and then using some software to play it . . . I skip the extra work and just dig out my Walkman.

I have an iPod. Wife asks the Alexa for specific songs or albums, which takes music from Spotify.
My current iPod has some health shit that is so large that it now won’t fit all the music i had on the old iPod. No way to get the health app off, so i had to pare down my music.
Next time I’ll get the bigger one… maybe soon, before my iPod breaks. Cuz discontinued.

People use media players ?

I.use the spotify app for music. Anything else, whatever the default os app js i guess.

Yeah

how else do you play your flac files

I dumped all my music long time ago when I moved to spotify. I for some reason still have a large stack of CD’s on my bookshelf that I burned and used to use as a playlist, but that was forever ago. Don’t even know why I still have the CD’s.

Either for their nostalgic value . . . or to make a killing on eBay.

Or because I need to throw out some junk.imcludimg CDs.

I have two webservers in my office sitting there. The one I keep because it’s a clone of the ones in our server rack. The other, no idea, just hate to throw it out because it’s still useable. My Dev guy was like, it’s past end of life, just toss it. Same thing, some stupid attachment.
At least I only do this rarely. House and office are relatively Spartan.