What Have We Learned Since 2020?

Stimulus helped some, sure, but that is ancient history now. Closures mean fewer working hours for many. Less closures now, but stimulus was more to offset those. School closures mean more childcare cost. The price of gas is through the roof. The price of used cars has skyrocketed like crazy. The price of many other items has shot up.

2 Likes

My guess is that the US is no different than any other democracy on this, but it’s really annoying how the person in charge ALWAYS gets blame whether or not it’s deserved (I am not giving an opinion on whether it’s deserved in this case)

1 Like

But is it expected in the future?

You know the person in charge won’t hesitate to ALWAYs take credit for successes, whether or not it’s deserved. It’s comes with the territory. It’s just a part of their game.

3 Likes

That is pretty much what I was going to say.

Fair point. I am interested in inflation numbers moving forward. The YOY rates are still pretty big, but the MOM rate has slowed substantially. I wouldn’t be surprised to see this slow substantially through 2022. Especially since it didn’t get started till March when the vax was released. That I do not foresee continued 6%-7% once we pass this March. I thinking 2%-3% this year in the YOY numbers.

Dems need to read the writing on the wall. It was public school restrictions/issues that already cost them the Virginia Governor’s race. Now they’re doing everything they can to lose Michigan.

That type of quote “the purpose of public education…is to teach them what society needs them to know”. That’s the exact type of quote people say when they attack the original founding of public schools, only this time, the person saying it wasn’t attacking public schools. Quite the opposite, they’re attacking the parents who want some input in their child’s education. The quote didn’t come from some random wacko on the internet, it came from a Michigan Democratic Party on their Facebook page.

What annoys me is when the person in charge uses “I was unaware” to exculpate or at least reduce their responsibility. The most famous example is Reagan using it in response to culpability in the Iran Contra.

It shows up routinely in private sector scandals the most recent being Elizabeth Holmes claiming she was unaware of Theranos’ failing as a technology. Probably the most egregious case was Ken Lay claiming ignorance of what was going on at ENRON.

Some cases where Trump has used it:

1. He was unaware of payments to Stormy Daniels
  2. He was unaware of Donny’s meeting with the Russians during the campaign
  3. He was unaware of Flynn meeting with Russians
  4. He was unaware that the USS McCain was moved so he wouldn’t have to see it when he gave a speech

He also claimed Kim was unaware of the treatment of Otto Warmbier.

\textcolor{red}{\text{So you think we should hold Trump accountable for things he didn't know about?}}

Here is where Democrats really lack self awareness IMO. This is the kind of crap that most of the country looks at and says you all are full of crap. So Washington DC a city run overwhelmingly by Democrats has a vaccine mandate that requires a photo id with the card to be presented to enter a restaurant to eat a meal, yet when it comes to voting the same people say that a photo ID requirement is a racist policy. Well which is it? Also half of African Americans in DC are not vaccinated which is much lower than the number of white folks in DC that are vaccinated. So this policy by most equity standards is inequitable (racist?) in it’s outcome.

1 Like

The elite democrat in me would like to point out that eating in a restaurant is not a right that we need to protect in the same way as voting, and it hardly matters if it’s perfectly equitable since there’s no prize for small differences in participation. Smoking, drinking, driving, flying all require IDs, but they aren’t rights and are also inequitable by nature, so it’s a silly comparison.

A more apt criticism imo, would be that requiring photo-id is a stupid waste of time and energy.

1 Like

And yet, much of the civil rights movement of the 1960’s included access to and service in restaurants. So now it’s okay to give that up in favor of an event that occurs generally once every other year?

Democratic messaging on voter id is really bad. Democrats are not opposed to a voting ID requirement, and support voting ID requirements when they are easy to meet. For example, Democrats support the voting ID requirements In Colorado. There, you can use a college ID to vote (it is very common for college students to have college IDs, but not state licenses).

Democrats opposed the voter ID law in North Dakota in 2018, where they changed the existing photo ID requirement to mandating photo IDs that included street addresses. People who lived on tribal lands typically don’t use street addresses in North Dakota, so their tribal IDs which had been considered valid for voting were no longer accepted. With zero allegations made that people had been using tribal IDs to vote fraudulently, it is hard to see a goal for this change that was not disenfranchising Native Americans.

6 Likes

Yes, voting is more fundamental than eating out, despite the fact that you eat out more often.

We can talk about them both without acting like they are the same thing.

1 Like

Having to sit next to a black person does not have the same adverse health consequences as sitting next to someone who has a highly infectious disease. Very analogous to the case of smoking. Do smokers have a right to smoke in public places? That is the argument they used to make.

Does this policy mitigate that risk? I can assure you that you will find 0 evidence that it does. The spread of Covid 19 has not statistically significantly different regardless of any mandate imposed by local governments. The mandates are safety theatre at best based on any and all credible data.

1 Like

Proving that policies do things is a relatively high bar. To go back to smoking, it’s easy to argue smoking is bad, and hard to prove with data that banning smoking in movie theaters has saved any lives.

2 Likes

The purposeful misinformation, reframing, and distraction from the American conservative party is nearly impossible to overcome. When the law protects all speech and does not have an effective means to counter lies or distinguish between facts and truth the liar always wins. The liars resource pool is infinite where as the truth is discrete.

5 Likes

Who would you prefer to be surrounded by, a group of fully vaccinated people or a group of unvaccinated prople?