What happens when you don't lift for 7 months

Posted here nearly 2 years ago that I was “getting serious about lifting again”, but maybe this time I’m serious about being serious. Not planning to spam the thread with updates but might occasionally.

I have NOT discovered my 1-rep max on anything yet. I’m taking it very slowly doing sets of 5 or 10. I used to be stronger than average and now am definitely weaker than average. I’ve hurt myself trying to start back up “at a light weight” and then immediately, nope, that’s a week to recover.

Bench: 105 x 10 (following lighter sets)
Squat: 115 x 7 (failed to make 10 after lighter sets, also this was my first time squatting in years)
Pull-ups: 7 (already destroying my PR of 4 due to being ~50-60 pounds lighter)

I’m doing some other exercises, lunges with weights, curls, some other things I don’t have proper names for. I’m probably going to report just these 3 numbers rather than go through a list of 7 lifts.

2 Likes

When my gym closed during COVID, I made do with the free weights that I had at home. They were no substitute for the thorough weight workout I used to get at the gym.

It took me a year to get back to my former level of strength after the gym reopened as I tried to do too much too quickly. Rotator cuff injury early on was probably caused by going too fast. Eventually I got back to my full weight regime.

I am 73 so a younger fellow like yourself may have quicker results but slow and steady worked for me.

2 Likes

Pandemic hit when I was turning 30 and lost gym access. Once gyms reopened I got about 6 weeks in before I hurting my knee then shoulder trying to get back to where I was

Slowly worked my way back over the next 6 months

Maybe things would be different if I were 20…

:grinning:

Just wait until you are in your 70’s!

Having said that, there are guys at my gym in their late 80s and early 90s still doing weight training. One is a former professional football player who can still press more than I could in my prime.

1 Like

I was really surprised that weights I used to think were really easy were not easy at all, like I was already feeling like half of my max was pretty heavy. I wound up getting hurt lifting what I thought was easy weight.

I still haven’t gotten back to my pre-pandemic maxes for squat and deadlift. I’m still 40 pounds away from that and hoping to maybe get there sometime next year or something. I matched them for the other lifts mid last-year.

2 Likes
1 Like

Many moons ago, I used to play pick up hockey with an elderly guy. There was a tournament he played in every year, with the age divisions for each decade of life. He was excited when he turned 80, because he’d get to be the young guy on the team.

2 Likes

Bench: 135 x 5
Squat: 135 x 10
Pull-up (palms facing out): 4
Chin-up (palms facing in): 5
Hammer grip pull-ups: 8

As before, numbers above include sets building up to the recorded weight. As above, I’m being careful about hurting myself. Could I have squatted 160? Most likely. I’m focused on good form and consistency. If I take 1 day off, I won’t take the next day off.

It occurs to me the hammer grip pull-ups I was recording as simply pull-ups are easier than what might be pictured. I Googled what it’s called to do what I’m doing and added detail.

(Edit 3/25:
Squat: 155 x 10
Chin-up (palms facing in): 8
Hammer grip pull-ups: 9)

Squat: 175 x 5
Chin-up (palms facing in): 8
Hammer grip pull-ups: 10

Not sure what my bench press was at when I last did 4 days ago. Need to do tomorrow.

1 Like

I do cardiovascular workout almost every day but weights only every other day as a trainer told me 50+ years ago to not do weights every day: what is current thinking on this?

I think you can be in the weight room every day but you don’t typically train the same muscle group 2 days in a row. For example, you can alternate upper/lower body workouts so when you exercise your legs your upper body recovers and vice-versa.

I think the popular programs are 5/3/1, stronglifts, and starting strength.

1 Like

I was about to say, I’m no expert but pretty much as CS said. I alternate upper and lower, and if say my legs are still sore 2 days later because I went a bit too hard, I might take a rest day or just do a light set (say rather than my 175 squat from today, do some at 145).

1 Like

You can workout everyday but not at max intensity

It really depends on what your fitness goals are

Competition? Just staying in shape? Rehabbing/working around an injury?

Personally I do a 3 day routine.

Day 1: cardio (usually running), day 2: weights, day 3: calisthenics/medicine ball circuits/running in place/yard work

I like to do a little something everyday. It makes me feel young and keeps my body supple and lean

1 Like

Thanks everyone for a lot of good input.

I should have clarified that I do the same weight workout every other day when I do weights so the same muscles get exercised each time. I also do something of a cardiovascular nature every day.

At my (advanced) age, my goal is to just retain the fitness level I currently have for as long as I can. Thus I am not pushing myself with higher weight levels at this stage of life: I am happy working with the same weights I worked with 30 years ago.

I am encouraged that I was able to reestablish my former muscle strength after some backsliding due to COVID. I could probably increase my weights but figure I have earned the right to just stay at my current level!

What’s the weightlifting routine?

30 years of strength/muscle maintenance is impressive for an adult

Actually it has been almost 60 years of weight training as I started when I was a teenager (I was a shot putter in high school). My weight amounts dropped off about 30 years ago so it has been that latter threshold that I have tried to not let slip further.

I do 3x10 of about a dozen different weight exercises: a mix of free weights and machines. I do a thirty minute exercise bike workout to warm up but switch to longer outdoor bike-rides this time of year as the days get nicer. I don’t enjoy weight training so the mental part is the hardest. I love cycling outdoors though and in the gym I catch up on some reading while sitting on the bike.

I’m about to wrap up a training block, most recent maxes were:

Squat: 285 5x4
Overhead Press: 135 2x1, 2x2
Deadlift: 285 1x5
Pull Up: 35 5x5
Bench: 165 3x3, 1x4, 1x3
Dip: 70 5x5
Row: 160 5x3

Pre covid bests on squat and dl are 315, hopefully can get there in a year or so.

1 Like

I got lazy on lifting as an exam approached. Planning to get back into it. I should do a little bit tonight to not break the lazy streak.

35 pullups 5x5?!?! respect

Had surgery on my chest on Monday to remove a carcinoma. Surgeon said I should be able to resume lifting weights in 48 hours but it still hurts. Good excuse to avoid weights until the weekend. No problem using a stationary bike for other exercise though.

3 Likes