What do you do when someone pronounces something incorrectly?

I use both pronunciations of both words, and I don’t know how my brain picks one. I also use both options for the word ‘data.’

Cute because it’s correct?

1 Like

Let’s call the whole thing off

Just a play on words, a la Ricky Ricardo.

1 Like

You are so seriously ninja’d.

You all should hear me pronouncing drug names in meetings with all of our internal customers who happen to be pharmacists. I feel so Eastern Kentucky when I absolutely have no clue what I’m saying and where the inflections are. They generally say the drug name the right way at some point and then I change my pronunciation to match theirs.

1 Like

You might have to sit through an hour of pharmaceutical ads a day to condition your brain to the right pronunciation. Those ads drive me crazy - I think they pop up a lot in NFL games.

1 Like

The pharmacists I worked with made it worse by swapping back and forth between the name of the compound and the brand name. Thanks for making this twice as hard.

1 Like

Couple weeks ago we were doing some modeling on a drug named Gilenya. I do my spiel pronouncing it guh-len-ee-ah. The first pharmacist to chime in says juh-len-yah. Wrong again Mr. Papageorgio.

I pronounce “G”'s as soft before “i”, “e” and “y”, hard before “a”, “o”, “u”.
I believe that is the general rule, with plenty of exceptions usually due to not being Latin or Greek in origin. (“Geyser” is Icelandic, for example. “Gift” is from Old Norse. Yes, I looked them up.)
People making up names of things take this into account when making up the spelling of such names.

1 Like

I would expect it to sound like the name “Gil”, not “Jill”. But whatever the company wants is correct.

Like GIF?

1 Like

Gift, girl, Gil, giddy, girth, gekko, geese, …

Words you don’t know are often Latinate, so guessing that it’s pronounced like “J” is often right if you don’t know the word. But the hard “G” is probably more common, as it’s used in all the common (Germanic) words.

(And yes, it’s funny that “Germanic” is a Latinate word.)

Especially a drug name.
Unless it was named after Gil in Accounting.

What the Giraffe?!??!1??

The part relevant to this thread is at about 0:23, but the whole video is worth watching.

who the hell is Phil Oakes?

4 Likes