What do you do when someone pronounces something incorrectly?

One example, when someone pronounces “data” differently than you do, do you switch to their pronunciation? Or stick to your own?

I saw someone pronounce Alpaca wrong recently, and I noticed the other person avoided using the word after that (I was waiting to see if he’d say it the right way).

“Differently” <> “incorrectly.”

Please fix the thread title or GTFO!

Or, sing a song, as V_A suggests.

How did they pronounce it? Did the other person avoid using the word, or did they just not need to? If they did actively avoid it, what words did they use instead?

There are multiple correct ways to say “data”. I don’t change how i pronounce it unless I’m worried they might have trouble understanding me (maybe their English is weak.) I don’t expect them to change how they say it, either.

Although… If i spend a couple weeks in a place with a different accent, i do tend to pick it up, and come home with an accent for a couple of days. So i guess over time my pronunciation drifts towards whatever i hear.

it makes sense when you think of the pronunciation of “miser” is “MI-zer”

There aren’t a lot of words ending in ‘isled,’ but in general we have words like fizzled, so I can totally see how you’d look at misled and pronounce it that way.

someone tried to correct my “machines”

sounded like ma-sheens

we all know it’s pronounced mac-hinds

Misled is obviously pronounced Miled.

RN?

Many people in my company seem to pronounce a certain vendor name wrong. I just respond using the correct pronunciation and i know I’m right because they have marketing videos on YouTube with my pronunciation, but it is really annoying to deal with.

My SO pronounces a few words incorrectly and i have tried to fix it but decided to love her anyway and just occasionally point it out privately. But it still annoys me a little bit every time!

I know i do the same on a few words because my parents ruined me, so no big deal in my mind.

When I read many of your posts here, many words are mispronounced. You lot need to improve.

6 Likes

I slaughter the language with my interpretations of how things sound.

I forgive those I hear, seek clarity from those I do not understand, and wait patiently for those that stumble.

Allianz?

I used to think it was odd when people said “ve-HICK-le” but now I like it so much that I’ve come around to that pronunciation.

I have only heard one way for that but it’s possible everyone is wrong.

I try and pro ounce everyone’s name. If it’s tough I’ll say it two or three times til I get it right.

Except one student I hang with. White people just can’t get the name, I’ve tried. Now everyone just calls him by his online handle.

Is this an R I can’t N? Or just a play on the word ‘isle?’

My wife has always pronounced “either” as I’-thur and neither as NIGH’-thur. I think it’s cute. :heart_eyes: :