What are you reading?

If you enjoy Murakami you would probably love Ishiguro as well. I binged on 8 of his books in 2022.

1 Like

Beware of reading too much Murakami. You’ll lose your cat/wife.

You can also lose your sense of reality reading Murakami but that is part of his appeal.

Thanks for the warning ^^

Finished Kafka on the Shore and onto Hard-Boiled Wonderland.

I read Klara and the Sun by Ishiguro. Liked it, didn’t love it. Would definitely be willing to try some others.

“Never Let Me Go” and “The Remains of the Day” were my two favourite Ishiguro novels. The first is disturbing: the second is sad.

The movie version of The Remains of the Day is great, with fantastic performances by Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson.

1 Like

Just started Inheritance Games as the cover really caught my eye in target. First chapter I found out the main character was into chess and planned on majoring in actuarial science when they went to college. Score.

3 Likes

Adding to my list!

I bought a used book about Mikos Radnoti–a comparative study, a 20th century poet. it’s like 800 pages, including like 300 pp of notes.

I like buying cheap used books on random subjects. I read it for a while and if it keeps my interest, cool. If not, the $3 ain’t gonna kill me.

maybe I’ll learn a think or two about poetry. it also delves into his translation of poetry. Showing how translation is as much an art as it is a science. And how it shaped his own verse.

I have been in such a reading funk this year—I have to remind myself even to listen to audiobooks. But last night I downloaded Elin Hilderbrand’s The Golden Girl and she hooked me on the first sentence, as usual.I listened at least an hour past my bedtime.

Which one is it about? Rose, Dorothy, Sophia, or Blanche?

No, I didn’t know the 4 names off the top of my head. I had to look them up!

1 Like

Vivi

She does briefly mention the sitcom.

Finally finished “A Storm of Swords.” 1100 pages! I will not reread the next two, as the optimal method is going back and forth between them in a particular (nerdy) order.
So much that is different from (and missing in) the HBO series.

I have a book-related question: How does one sell, say, several hundred books, mostly history-related? And hopefully not one at a time?

I have the Will (and wife) Durant history series The Story of Civilization" (barely read, if at all).
I have a “Great Writers of the Western World” (Britannica) collection (barely read, if at all).
I have the three-volume Teddy Roosevelt bio by Edmund Morris. (I read this.)
I have a 100-year-old “Catholic Encyclopedia,” that is not supposed to leave the family, I have a complete (I think) Dickens collection that is also not supposed to leave the family. Problem is that SOMEONE in the family will have to keep it, and I don’t think anyone has the shelf space.

Do you have a second hand book store that purchases books somewhat nearby. If so stop by there or call them.

Edit: if you think they might be old and valuable, look for an antique book seller.

We had a bookshelf space issue when my daughter’s family of four moved in with us a year ago (still here). I took advantage of the situation to get rid of all the books I would not read again despite their strong sentimental value. The only ones I got any money for were my leather-bound, mint condition 1974 Brittanica set ($75). The guy that bought them wanted to teach his intellectually curious daughters how to look things up in books rather than just online (kudos to him).

Everything else was given away to the local thrift shop, the used book store or community libraries or to the dump (sadly).

My library employee friend said that they usually dump books if they are not library-strength.

By “community library” I met those little boxes set up on street corners where people deposit and borrow books. That may be a Canadian nomenclature. I didn’t give any to the library proper as I knew they wouldn’t take them.

Our library takes a lot of books for an annual book sale which then benefits the library. They have published guidelines as to what they accept.

Oh, I’ve seen those in some communities. Santa Barbara has them. I think I’ve seen them in “South Bay” towns (communities south of LAX on the coast).
I’d probably drop off some of the more-used books there. Not the “never opened, mostly for show” books that I am ridding myself (my family, actually) of.