What are you reading?

Looking back over the year, I read a lot of "good"s, but not much that stood out.

NF is easy, as I only read a few and The Dawn Of Everything was the best out of them.

For fiction, Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day and Cold Comfort Farm were probably the most enjoyable. For more recent books, Sea of Tranquility and The Thursday Murder Club.

1 Like

next genre up - Horror.

I have been going small on my reading and will continue to do so

The Island of Dr. Moreau - Wells

1 Like

I loved Emperor of All Maladies, and really enjoy Mukherjeeā€™s writing style. I just purchased The Song of the Cell.

1 Like

Been reading a lot of non-fiction lately so just read a fantasy novel for a change of pace: Kraken by China Mieville.

Brilliant novel. Humorous and super weird.

1 Like

next genre up isā€¦

sorry this genre is being preempted by Mystery.

Just borrowed Where The Crawdads Sing from BiLā€™s mother. SiL wants it next and I want to read it before I watch the movie.

So Mystery moves up four slots, and i will continue with Romance next

Have delivered 75 books so far, but just took another box out of FiLā€™s house.

Decided to use a wagon, can deliver many more books and not as much a trudge if have to take some back. This time of year not as many books get taken as well.

HMS Surpriseā€¦

ā€¦about 50% of the way through, Maturin comes across an Indian insurance guy in Bombay talking about how premiums on marine cover has gone upā€¦

1 Like

so, next up Romance. I believe this is a non-return from the Book Of The Month Club 30+ years ago. If it made it to my shelf, it needs to be read. Besides Romance is hard without forcing it, at least for what i tend to pick up.

The Landower Legacy - Victoria Holt

A winter reading program started up again, so Iā€™m shifting to shorter books again. Iā€™m considering the Enola Holmes books, since I just saw both movies.

I never really got started on Peach Blossom Spring, as I felt I needed to pay a lot of attention to names at the start.

when you read a series, donā€™t you get tired of a singular author voice?

I have never read a series, one book after another without something else in between

Not really. I used to like series so I knew what to read next after finishing the book I was on. Maybe after 5 books in a row but I think itā€™d be a break of genre and characters more than the authorā€™s voice.

If I like a series and itā€™s finished, Iā€™ll usually stick with it the whole way. Especially if itā€™s one over arching story over multiple books. Iā€™d rather not space it out and ā€œforget thingsā€ that were in earlier books.

If it isnā€™t good enough to hold my attention that I want to read the next book, I often just drop the series and donā€™t return to it.

Depends. A trilogy I can knock out. Longer than that I take a ā€œbreather bookā€ after every two or three. Usually in a completely different genre. Cleanse the palate and then back at it

finished Night Walk by Elizabeth Daly, and its main interest is that itā€™s set in a place like where I live (backwater in Westchester Countyā€¦ and reading the description of the town being centered around people who brought up horses for racing, I seriously think it was about North Salem)

the mystery itself was -meh-

It depends on the series and how long it is. There have been quite a few authors whose books Iā€™ve pretty much read straight through (Verne, Wells, Vonnegut, Tony Hillerman, and probably others) Iā€™ve not read any of these yet, but a quick search showed me theyā€™re all short enough that, assuming theyā€™re not all boring, Iā€™ll probably not get bored with 5. But if I do get bored, I wonā€™t have any problem abandoning the series.

I didnā€™t get tired of a singular authorā€™s ā€˜voiceā€™ until I started writing 20 years ago. Then I realized, ā€œHey, it looks like Iā€™m trying to write like Stephen King. I wonder why that is?ā€ Oh, because Iā€™d ingested almost exclusively King novels for the past 10 years. That pushed me to read more broadly (general rule is ā€œNo more than 1 book by any author in any calendar yearā€), and it has helped me not feel overwhelmed or over-influenced again.

1 Like

Funny you use him as an example as I find his novels, donā€™t have a singular voice or style. Could be a different story with his series though

It dawns on me that there are authors Iā€™ve binged because of the voice. Thatā€™s the case with Alan Bradleyā€™s books.

1 Like

Back to reading medical tomes. Just finished Dr. Gabor Mateā€™s latest: The Myth of Normal. Much food for thought but he doesnā€™t have as much scientific discipline as Siddartha Mukherjee in his conclusions.

I finished the first Enola Holmes book, which is the one the first movie is based on. The basic plot was the same but, it being a very short book and it being a potential movie franchise, there were some significant changes.
In the book, Enola wasnā€™t groomed by her mother, who pretty much left her alone, although Enola did read every book in the library (on her own). That means sheā€™s not good at fighting/self-defense. The lack of grooming made it seem very much more like the momā€™s leaving was planned but not for a cause, although maybe that comes up in a future book. Mom doesnā€™t appear in the book. Tewksbury, who she insolently keeps referring to as Tewky throughout the book, is younger and twerpier and, at least in this book, not suitable as a love interest. In the book, she figures out who sent the bad guy rather than having it be revealed in a shootout. Thereā€™s no suffragette or ā€œchangeā€ angle to the book.
Itā€™s all about money instead. And the final scene of the book is so much more satisfying - she brings Tewky to Scotland Yard to turn him in at risk of getting caught and, of course, Sherlock and Lestrade show up. Theyā€™re walking down the hallway talking about the Tewky case, Tewky hears theyā€™re talking about him and so draws attention to himself, and when he does this, Enola just quietly slips away without being seen. So Sherlock never sees her in the book after she leaves the house.