What are you reading?

I finished The Big Over Easy. It was pretty good, but I didn’t enjoy it anywhere near as much as Shades of Grey.

I started Moriarty. The start is humorous now that I’ve read The Final Problem. Moriarty starts by going over The Final Problem and noting its deficiencies.

1 Like

Been reading a collection of Dorothy L. Sayers stories, which they “hook” you by marketing it as a Lord Peter Wimsey book (the first two stories star Lord Peter, but as far as I can tell, that’s it of him)… but the other non-Lord Peter stories are quite interesting in their own way. I liked the Monty Egg, Commercial Traveler (aka traveling salesman) stories, esp. since he is a wine/liquor salesman.

I finished Moriarty by Anthony Horowitz. I think I’ve pretty much liked everything I’ve read of his, so far. He seems to come up with really interesting and unusual premises.

This one takes place immediately after the Sherlock Holmes story The Final Problem, where Holmes and Moriarty die in the falls. A Scotland Yard inspector, who idolizes and models himself after Sherlock Holmes, and a Pinkertons investigator, who is the narrator, meet at the falls and join forces to try to stop a NY-based Moriarty-like figure from taking over crime in London now that Moriarty is out of the way.

Summary

I had a good idea of what the outcome was going to be, although I didn’t completely accept it because of my reluctance to accept one of those things you just don’t do in a book - the book is similar to one I’d complained about before, in that

Summary

the narrator did it.

However, in this case, it was much more plausible. The narrator even mentions that if you read the book again, you’ll see he didn’t tell any lies to the reader, although he certainly lied to others and certainly left out a bunch of stuff until the reveal at the end. I’m not gonna re-read the book, but suspect he’s telling the truth.

The Poisoner’s Handbook – about the historical development of medical examiners office, primarily in NYC. By Deborah Blum

1 Like

Finished this. Turns out it was only the first year or so, trying to get an “Economic Package” passed, but the Cabinet had no idea how to get it done via Congress. But, they did get it done.

The Making of Biblical Womanhood by Beth Allison Barr.

Finished that, Heartless by Marissa Meyer (a telling of how the Queen of Hearts came to be), Orconomics, and The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August. Started The Only Good Indians last night.

On the side, I’ve also read a number of books on Go: Learn to Play Go series (A Master’s Guide to the Ultimate Game, The Way of the Moving Horse, The Dragon Style, Battle Strategies, and The Palace of Memory), Opening Theory Made Easy, and Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go. Just started Shape Up! (an online free e-book).

I’m also going back through How to Reassess Your Chess.

1 Like

OK this is really interesting and could get me studying medieval Christian writings. But also James Dobson was involved in what? He’s off my Christmas list! (OK he was off the first time he sent me voting instructions, and when he disparaged JKR’s character without knowing anything about her, but this is REALLY the last straw.) I warned my husband yesterday that I was going to come home ranting, which I haven’t done since I read America’s Original Sin and found out systemic racism was really a thing and my former ideas about it were BS.

Worth reading?

For me, yes. Great forward by Bryan Stevenson whose work (made better known by the book and movie Just Mercy) I was unfamiliar with at the time. At the time I read it I really didn’t know what I didn’t know. I imagine the stats are dated by now. But for me this book was a turning point in my personal and political beliefs.

I downloaded it from the library although I’m not sure if my brain is ready for fresh anger.

I’m about a quarter of the way through. I’m finding it more hopeful than rage-worthy but I can see how it would if you weren’t really aware of systemic racism before.

I see two books with this name: one by Jim Wallis, the other by John Rhodehamel (recent release).
Which one?
Either way, my library doesn’t have it.

I read the book by Jim Wallis

Thank you.
I just ordered it used on Amazon from a Goodwill somewhere in the USA, with the intention of giving it to a High School History teacher-friend when I’m done.

The Maltese Falcon

up to the point where they had the Flitcraft parable:
http://fallingbeam.org/beam.htm

Read the 2nd one today, planning to just go through them in order. Murder on the Links, I figured out half of it, but was expecting the mother and not the daughter as the other half. Wondering if the stories get longer, because they are very quick reads at the current length.

none of the Christie novels are very long. They’re some of my favorite “junk” reading.

My fave is The Moving Finger (a Miss Marple novel), and my fave non-detective one is And Then There Were None.

Daughter of Rome by Tessa Afshar. She takes Bible stories (often the ones with only a few lines, and creates novels around them. This one is about Priscilla and Aquilla, who are mentioned in at least one of Paul’s epistles.

Next up is The Guncle, by Steven Rowley. I know nothing about this book but it was in a couple of Instagram posts so it has to be good, right? Also it has a bright cover and was available in audio from my library.

I’m only 6 chapters in so far, but The Shadow of What Was Lost has hooked me so far.
Feels like an Epic Fantasy, coming of age type of book a la Wheel of Time (though this is a trilogy, not 14 books). Hard to put down (well, pause, since I am audiobooking it).

1 Like