Were the 2016 presidential election results valid?

This time 4 years ago, Hillary had conceded and Trump was merrily on his way to turning the White House brown. And there were narrow statewide victories then too. Funny how he had no problem with the media declaring a victor prior to results being certified back then.

I mean, the Republican strategy is crude and unsophisticated. They know they won’t be able to accomplish any of their agenda over the next 4 years. So they’ve decided to convince one half of Americans that Biden is illegitimate to prevent D’s from getting anything done either.

Every single member of the federal government, from the clerk who prints Social Security cards to the lice Trump’s hair, knows that Joe Biden will be #46. The Republicans are just posturing.

If you believe Biden is stealing the election, check your pulse. You might be brain dead.

3 Likes

You’re in luck. DOJ does oversee “the enforcement of federal laws that criminalize certain forms of election fraud and vindicate the integrity of the federal election process.” Also “From now through Nov. 3, 2020, the U.S. Attorney’s Offices will work with specially trained FBI personnel in each district to ensure that complaints from the public involving possible election fraud are handled appropriately.” Link to DOJ page

This is on top of the efforts of the various secretaries of state. Here’s an Olympian article talking about Washington State’s SOS referring 74 suspected cases of voting fraud to prosecutors in 2016. That’s about 0.002% of ballots.

Other articles I have seen that attempt to quantify voter fraud usually have an even lower number, like 0.00001%. So, do you mean DOJ should continue to be employed to help find fraud, exactly as they have been doing for years? Or are you thinking DOJ ought to do more?

I don’t think more from DOJ is necessary or a good idea, particularly given the weakening (or at least apparent weakening) we have seen of the norm that the DOJ is supposed to operate independently of the president.

1 Like

I saw elsewhere that Trump claimed that some of the GOP primaries he lost were due to fraudulent voting. I’m not sure that there’s ever been an election where in his mind he legitimately lost it. Rather, his loss was purely due to fraud in every case.

1 Like

Even though he won the electoral college vote, remember his claims of “fraud” over failing to win the popular vote in the 2016 general election.

Yep, he would have been the first Republican to win Washington DC if it weren’t for the 290,000 fraudulent Democratic votes cast there!!!

Matt Parker doing some fun voter fraud debunking maths.

1 Like

Not able to watch the video right now, but the claims I’m hearing are about voters voting that shouldn’t or votes counting that shouldn’t (ie Democrats voting multiple times) so pointing out that Trump’s results track with down-ballot candidates wouldn’t debunk that myth.

I’m interested to watch the video though.

That was even too boring for me and I like that kinda stuff. No way you’re gonna get a MAGAt to watch that, much less agree with it.

I watched the first video and enjoyed it. I recommend it to the rest of you. I’ll see if his books are available at the library. One thing I missed that maybe someone else has already caught or that a future viewer will: I see why Biden’s votes don’t satisfy Benford’s Law. Does he say why Trump’s DO? I suspect it’s also related to precinct size somehow.

But right, Serena, no MAGAt will stick with it.

ETA: true, it is a bit nerdy. NTTAWWT

He goes into it a little at the end (starting around minute 14). Basically, this is chicago, so Trump’s totals are pretty low. 70% of his vote totals were between 10 and 99 (with a good chunk being in the 10-19 range). I would imagine those that did make it to 3 digits didn’t make it very far into them.

The second video is a response to a video that is over an hour long, so if you think this is boring…

Was really saddened to see an actuary I used to work with posting crap about how Trump would have won if not for the illegal vote. He’s a nice guy, I get that he’s a pro-life Christian and I’m on his Christmas e-mail list so I tolerated a lot of the MAGAt posts he did, but the revised electoral map he posted was the last straw. First time I’ve ever unfriended anyone due to politics. :frowning:

My wife got stuck in traffic yesterday due to what she called ‘The stupidest thing I have ever seen’.

Apparently a convoy of trump supporters (like 300 trucks) drove up and down the main road of our podunk town, ignoring red lights, waving flags, and honking at anything that moved. Wife was unable make a turn at the red light because the convoy didnt stop to acknowledge the light. Finally after 20 min some one stopped to let her on the road.

Which led me to the joke that my wife had joined a Pro Trump convoy. She was not amused.

things are getting weird out in Trump country…

They were going around my parents town before the election. I am surprised they are still doing that.