Weather apps for Android 14

I just upgraded to Android 14, and my AccuWeather app says it’s not compatible. Truth be told, I’m not sure it was compatible with the prior version, either, as it had a lot of incompatibly glitches.

So I’m looking for something new.

What i liked about the app was

• No obtrusive ads (it’s possible i paid for this at some point. Willing to pay a modest amount now.)
  • It tended to be less alarmist (and more accurate) than many, although it’s accuracy has been slipping
  • It had nice summaries by day and by hourly forecast
  • It included sunrise and sunset
  • It had a nice 4x1 widget on my home screen that showed The forecast for a few days in a simple graphical way.

Anyway, what do y’all like these days?

Weather Underground.
Too many ads, but the weather stations might be quite close by.
How each of them predicts the weather is a point of skepticism for me. Seems that they simply interpolate from “Official Prediction” stations based on who-knows-what factors.

And, it’s fun to see just how inaccurate it can be relative to the length of time.

Not an app. I prefer no strange entity is keeping that close a track on me.

I’ll second Weather Underground, but I do use the app. I am still on android 13, so I don’t know if there are any compatibility issues with 14

i am 13, which caused security issues with my work apps.

but my phone hasn’t ask to be updated, yet

Another vote for Weather Underground.

Doogie Howser, FSA, MAAA

I see some reviews with complaints for ads, but I don’t seem to have an issue with them…just a few banners here or there.

The rain alerts are surprisingly accurate. I have had them pop up while out on a hike on a bright mostly sunny days…“light rain starting in 15 minutes”…thinking wtf that can’t be right…then it started raining right on time.

It has some geeky features you can overlay on the maps. Was interesting to see the wildfire smoke over the summer.

I have had it for years now.

I use a local TV station app. Gives me good weather reports and local news. No fancy widget. I seem to remember that another station had a wearther bug widget but I didn’t like all the ads.

I really don’t like ads, so I use Weawow. I think it has all the features you mentioned (I don’t use the widget, but it does offer some), and it lets me select the weather provider I want (so if the accuracy is bad, I can select a different weather provider without finding a new app). I’m on Android 13.

I think the monetization model is that they show a nice unobtrusive picture of (local?) scenery at the top of the screen. They sell rights to these pictures. They also are funded through donations.

1 Like