Vaccine--3rd shot

Eh, that’s always what “fully vaccinated” means. My doctor checks every year to see if I’m current for my flu and tetanus vaccines.

I’m waiting for them to stop talking about “fully” and just switch to “current”.

everything i’m hearing about the J&J posse getting another shot is “lol, haha we don’t know yet! but you guys are cool to sit tight for a while since J&J wasn’t given until like March.”

I think they WILL have a recommendation for boosters for the J&J posse before you hit 8 months. I’m guessing it will be an mRNA does, but who knows.

What I’ve seen is a 2nd J&J shot. Who knows.

I don’t want a 3rd shot of the original vaccine. I want a shot of a reformulated for delta. More of the same isn’t good enough.

1 Like

The Israeli data says more of the same IS good enough.

The booster shot reduced the risk of infection in the 60-plus age group by 86% and against severe infection by 92%, according to an observational study by Israel’s second largest healthcare provider, Maccabi Health Services, released Wednesday.

That’s as compared to 2 doses several months ago.

The Maccabi findings are based on real-world data from a relatively large group, which could help inform other countries that are planning their own vaccine rollout strategies.

An Israeli Health Ministry study published in July found those who had two shots were just 39% protected against infection between June 20 and July 17 amid an outbreak of the Delta variant in the country. Data shared later with medical experts advising Israel’s government showed that protection against severe illness for vaccinated people aged 60 and up had dropped to 81% from 97% in mid-April. Israeli health officials say it remains unclear how much of the loss of protection is due to waning immunity or the rise of the Delta variant.

Maccabi said its latest study compared test results of 149,144 people who had received a booster after at least seven days, with 675,630 people matched by age, gender, socioeconomic status and population who had received two doses between January and February of this year. Just 37 of the former group tested positive, compared with 1,064 of the latter group, the study found.

“These results are highly encouraging. They suggest that the third booster may restore the vaccine efficacy to its original levels,” said Eran Segal, a computational biologist at the Weizmann Institute of Science and a key adviser to the Israeli government on the pandemic.

Would seem a better use of resources to get more people globally a first shot to slow emergence of further variants than to give half of America a third shot.

errrr, speak for yourself. i feel cheated. i only got one dose. so, give it to the 3rd world countries or whatever, PLUS those in the J&J posse.

I agree 100%. Don’t vaccinate already vaccinated Americans. Ship those doses to developing nations who are struggling to vaccinate their population due to lack of supply.

Also, hurry up and approve the vaccine for little kids. I believe they’re a significant viral vector, especially since they often have mild cases with no noticeable symptoms.

Once you do that, then you can start giving people a 3rd shot

We’re not a significant vector.

First worry about at-risk populations in developing countries, then give the oldies a 3rd shot (heck, maybe a 4th) before you go after us.

Might even put white-tail deer ahead of us.

You weren’t. I’m reading that Delta is much more contagious among kids. Not very deadly you the kids, but it uses you as a vector.

Link? To actual data, not speculation?

I’m over my third shot. The day after, my arm was oochy if I moved it too much and I took a 3-4 hour nap. I think the rest of my body was a little sore. Worth it.

1 Like

That sounds like my reaction to the second shot

Is there not a risk too if we chase really high protection rates against delta in the US, meanwhile the virus is going ham in developing nations it still might selfishly make sense to instead vaccinate these other countries since arguably the more the virus can spread the more likely it mutates in a way we don’t like. Seems we have a vested interest in reducing its ability to mutate?

I think there is merit in this argument.

It’s also the who’s argument as i understand it.

I think there may be more merit in delaying vaccines in young children that delaying booster shots for adults, at least older adults. I guess some of that depends on how dangerous delta is in kids, which is a bit of an open question still.

I think, though, that i’ve also read lack of vaccines is only part of the difficulty in vaccinating a lot of these developing countries. They also do not have the infrastructure. For example both the mrna vaccines have to be kept extremely cold.

In any case, that’s not happening. Politically, the vast majority of us politicians are not going to say the us needs to wait to vaccinate so we can treat other countries first.

This is some of the danger in making moral decisions together, i guess. You can always blame things on all the other people.

Results A total of 6280 households had pediatric index cases, and 1717 households (27.3%) experienced secondary transmission. The mean (SD) age of pediatric index case individuals was 10.7 (5.1) years and 2863 (45.6%) were female individuals. Children aged 0 to 3 years had the highest odds of transmitting SARS-CoV-2 to household contacts compared with children aged 14 to 17 years (odds ratio, 1.43; 95% CI, 1.17-1.75). This association was similarly observed in sensitivity analyses defining secondary cases as 2 to 14 days or 4 to 14 days after the index case and stratified analyses by presence of symptoms, association with a school/childcare outbreak, or school/childcare reopening. Children aged 4 to 8 years and 9 to 13 years also had increased odds of transmission (aged 4-8 years: odds ratio, 1.40; 95% CI, 1.18-1.67; aged 9-13 years: odds ratio, 1.13; 95% CI, 0.97-1.32).

I didn’t mean to say it kills kids, that was a typo which I’ve fixed (my phone tends to swap not/but). But it does spread from kids. This isn’t even Delta. It just says, “oops, the earlier view that kids don’t spread covid was wrong, kids who have symptoms spread covid”. I doubt there are any completed studies with Delta, but a lot more kids get symptoms with Delta, so I’m pretty sure this will hold.

Ok my Covid Booster was right after Christmas. Now I’m planning on a cruise late July. Thinking of another Covid booster and maybe I will finally get my Shingles vaccine? Upping my vitamins too.

I do not want to lose this deal!

ETA: I lost the deal.

Note that this is like the COVID vaccine: a two-shot sequence with ~3 months between.

My mom got shingles, it was not fun for her.