USA Men's Soccer Thread

OK, so more people are leaving The USSF. First McBride, now Stewart.

And now, Claudio Reyna is choosing a demotion, it seems.

Not sure if US or Cup news, but the Copa America is coming back to the US in 2024!

Seeing as we are hosting and thus the USMNT are playing, yes, this belongs here. Gonna see just how committed some stadia are in their putting grass in, expanding their field widths, etc. Or, just play them in The MLS fields, which won’t make as much money and they might not be available cuz The MLS playing through summer cup seasons.

Hoping Seattle gets some games. Would be worth a trip down the I5 to attend.

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsGolazo/status/1619504641015955456?t=4cZMwJarOFdyjnOwbEWL8Q&s=19

I take most sports transaction rumors as having a likely ulterior motive for becoming public.

Soccer Helicopter Moms and Dads, beware!

The report detailed how Danielle and Claudio Reyna attempted to influence U.S. Soccer officials’ decisions related to their son, U.S. international Giovanni Reyna, and their veiled threats to publicly disclose the domestic violence incident involving Berhalter in retaliation for Berhalter’s treatment of Gio. One interview described Claudio Reyna’s outreach over Gio Reyna’s treatment as “inappropriate,” “bullying,” and “mean-spirited.”

While the conclusion was that the Reynas’ behavior didn’t rise to the level of blackmail or extortion, nor did it violate U.S. Soccer policies, U.S. Soccer said that a new policy is being drafted to prevent such parent/coach communication in the future.

Oh, there’s more:

Danielle Reyna revealed the incident of domestic violence during a phone call with USSF sporting director Earnie Stewart on Dec. 11, 2022. Stewart was then compelled by USSF policy to report incident to the federation’s lawyers.

Danielle Reyna divulged the incident after Gio Reyna had received scant playing time at the World Cup, and following a speech that Berhalter gave in which he alluded to a player that he had almost sent home for disciplinary reasons. That player was later identified as Gio Reyna.

Throughout the World Cup, both Claudio and Danielle Reyna told USSF officials that they had information on Berhalter that would prevent him from being rehired.

According to the report, Danielle Reyna told a U.S. Soccer staffer the day after the World Cup match against Wales: “Once this tournament is over, I can make one phone call and give one interview, and his cool sneakers and bounce passes will be gone.”

Claudio Reyna told then-USSF GM Brian McBride: “You guys don’t even know what we know about Gregg.”

The report reads: “The information was disclosed at a time when it would be expected to discourage or otherwise influence the organization from offering a contract extension to Mr. Berhalter. Mr. Stewart explained during the Investigation that he believed the Reynas made this disclosure to him so that U.S. Soccer would not hire Mr. Berhalter for another term.”

The Reynas and the Berhalters had been longtime friends, but issues over Gio Reyna’s playing time also resulted in a fraying of the relationship.

This included the Reynas asking that they return to their hotel with the rest of the players’ friends and family on a bus that didn’t include the Berhalters.

Gregg Berhalter told investigators: “There were 150 people in the Friends and Family program at this year’s World Cup. All were having a great time – except for five people who were absolutely miserable. Those five were cursing, acting horribly. It was the Reynas.”

The report included details of how this wasn’t the first time that the Reynas had complained about Gio’s treatment, including during his days representing the U.S. at the 2019 U-17 World Cup.

According to the report, one person interviewed described several incidents in which Mr. Reyna contacted U.S. Soccer officials to make complaints regarding his sons.

The person characterized Mr. Reyna’s historical outreach as “inappropriate,” “bullying,” and “mean-spirited.”

The person interviewed explained that whenever received text messages from Mr. Reyna, he would forward them to U.S. Soccer leadership.

The interviewee added that sometimes other U.S. Soccer officials were copied on Mr. Reyna’s text messages, and said it would be typical for Mr. Reyna to send a text message or email “in the heat of the moment” and then follow up with a call to vent about his complaint.

Wow.

Pick up another forward, might mean Reyna’s playing time might get cut some more. Poor parents.

And, the scrubs will play on MEX 4/19.

Gio makes the team. Let’s see how the parents behave. Might need a “Silent Saturday”-style event.

(Ask me what that means if you are unfamiliar.)

I actually feel a little bad for Gio growing up in that environment.

Eff Claudio and momma. Their reputation is permanently damaged. They need to buy tickets like the rest of us IMO.

Rooting for Gio to have 2 great games. His time looks like it has been down at Dortmund.

Men play:
Fri 3/24 8PM EDT, at Grenada;
Mon 3/27 7:30PM EDT, home (Orlando) v El Salvador.
Both on TBT and Universo.
Peacock for the cable-cutters, and a couple other streamers.

Grenada game was not worth watching.

Too easy. I think we said that about Trinidad, though.

So the US and Mexico are through to the Nations League semifinal. Canada would qualify with a win or tie tonight against Honduras in Toronto.

If the semifinals were in a more northerly climate like Seattle, rather than in Nevada, I would have tried to get tickets if Canada qualifies. However Nevada in mid-June is not appealing temperature wise.

Well, it will be indoors. But, you will have to get there via the outdoors.
I’m actually considering it. Only a 280-mile drive for me (one tank!).
But I usually back out of these plans. usually the ticket prices.

Right now in Nevada it is not even getting to 60 with mornings in the 30’s still along with precipitation. They are not projecting a hot summer but that could change.

Now is March. June is a few months away. It will be hotter than Hell, same as always. It is a desert and the sun will be high in the sky in June.

1 Like

…and it never rains in California

It has been 10-15 cooler than average highs all year so far.

Agreed.

It pours.
Man, it pours.

3 Likes