USA Men's Soccer Thread

Nice that this is going on during the offseason, when top players can be released from clubs. (Not sure if we have any top U20 club players in this tourney.)
I’ll have to check the listings for it. The quarterfinal was on a delayed broadcast on FS1 (or FS2?) the other night.

On FS1 here.

Thanks!

Playing the home team?? Rotten luck.

So just earlier this year? /red

Young guns get to play in the Concacaf U20 final, the Olympics, and the U20 world cup. None themselves are all that meaningful but getting to play against top competition is. I like it.

1 Like

So, recorded the match at 3pm PDT, because ygd TiVo schedule said it was the USA game. It was guatemala v dominican, but FS1 said the USA match was on later.
Easy win.

u19/u20 US team always seems to do better than the u23 team. Anyway, way to go!

Dominican Republic? In soccer? Wow

For the one hundredth time, Cobi Jones, it’s more than just a baseball island.

(In case you missed the telecast, the GOOOOAAAL guy said his first and last name at least once a minute.)

It’s before the good ones get their career going in Europe, but then the clubs don’t release them during the season. Current squad has only three players on Euro clubs.

Sheesh, they play July 3, two days after this last match. I’ll have to check the listings. 5PM central.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Caleb Wiley be a starter for the U20s in future tourneys. He’s looked pretty good for ATL, although he did make a really boneheaded play this past week that surrendered a late PK.

ATL loans Tyler Wolff to a team in the Belgian second division. Wolff played last night for the U20’s

Recording now, have family over, so will watch after they leave.

Congrats to the U20 CONCACAF champions! That’s 3 straight championships for those keeping count. That was a laugher last night, as the DR was completely outmatched. I think we’ll be seeing a lot more of Paxten Aronson.

The women face off against Haiti in the CONCACAF championship tourney in less than an hour

Easy win.

Will be recording W’s, at a park right now.

The USWNT in action again this week in the CONCACAF championship.

vs Jamaica tomorrow (Thurs) at 7PM ET
vs Mexico Monday at 10PM ET

Top 2 teams in each group punch their ticket for the 2023 Women’s world cup. 3rd place teams will get another shot to qualify in the intercontinental playoffs.

The winner of the tourney qualifies for the 2024 Olympics. The runner up will battle the 3rd place finisher for an Olympic berth.

Not-so-bold prediction: the American and Canadian women will both qualify for the 2023 World Cup.

1 Like

Careful out on that limb there…

2 Likes

Yes, those 2 should qualify easily. In Group A the battle between Mexico and Jamaica will likely be more fierce, as both want that automatic qualification and neither wants to have to take the chance on the intercontinental playoffs.

1 Like