USA Men's Soccer Thread

My question still stands, but I thought I’d seen Steffen was in. My mistake on that part. And I agree, I was surprised to see Pulisic, et. al. in the lineup at all.

Mexico was drawn at Jamaica. 8th time in 11 games that El Tri has scored 0 or 1 goals? And one of those other 3 required an OG. If I counted it right: 11 games, 10 goals - 3 of those 10 penalties, 1 the OG. That’s … 6 goals from the team through normal play, and 2 of those were against Suriname. Yikes.

As one of my friends put it in a text last night:

70 degrees, 100% humidity, pouring rain, playing in a mud pit, shitty Concacaf opponent. Great prep for Qatar.

1 Like

1st minute:

90th minute:

This was not a prep match. Was a stupid-ass CONCACAF Nations League, because Euro’s are shutting out other teams with their Nations League. Good way to get players tied to USA, though.
Oh, and no VAR, cuz CONCACAF doesn’t believe its teams are worthy of it.
We’ll get some prep in Europe in September, though, again UEFA has their teams busy, so, South American teams.

Ref got that Arriola red card right as well as the DOGSO on Gomez of SLV.

Final 2 WC tuneups announced vs Japan and Saudi Arabia.

I guess OK? It’s playing someone, which is better than playing nothing, and it’s a pair of teams playing in the World Cup, but I don’t know that we’re going to get great info out of those games.

Not sure what other options were available, I might like to see a reasonably stout team in the mix, but I’m not that concerned about it.

Euro teams are not available due to the Nations League, so you are basically looking at South American , Asian, or African teams.

Saudi Arabia is across the Persian Gulf from Iran, so they must play similar, right?

CONCACAF U20 going on now. In Honduras.
USA play Cuba Wednesday for Group first place.

Any underlying politicizing going on with this one we think? I think. But that’s just imo.

Well, I think we’re playing those in Europe, so those terrorists/fans won’t get in to our country.

CONCACAF U20 championships. USA beat Cuba quite handily, face Nicaragua on Saturday, on… NOTHING! YouTube? Vix? WTF is Vix? On ESPN PLay but I don’t what that is, either. Not sure what the bidding process is, but I’m guessing auction? Bunch of media outlets showing, CONCACAF gets more money by bidding each match or something?
Oh, well. Guess I’ll read about it in the newspaper the next morning. I’ll GET IT OFF MY LAWN!!

ESPN changes the panel for this survey, and surprise! fewer USA Women in the Top 50.

A bit odd there wasn’t a single Canadian woman in the top 25 given that Canada won the Olympic Gold in soccer last year……

Not enough Canadians on the panel.

Yes, zero Canadians on the panel may have been a contributing factor.

Spain have 3 of the top 9, 5 of the top 18, 6 of the top 24. Wow, Spain must be really good.

[Looks through recent results]

Ranked 7th in the world. There’s a draw against #5 Germany. And #8 England. And #6 Brazil. Oh, look, a 7-0 thrashing of Australia! Oh, it was Australia’s B-team. A win over #6 Canada, 1-0. Was Canada even near full strength, or ?

For comparison, the U.S.'s players are 6 (Macario), 19 (Lavelle), 22 (Horan), 33 (Rodman), 36 (Morgan) and 37 (Mewis). England also have 6 players, but the highest ranked is 14 and it’s only 3 in the top-20 with the back 3 at 31, 38 and 47. France have 5 players, the two best at 7 and 11. Germany have 3 players, none higher than 39.

This helps explain Canada’s 1-0 loss to Spain in the recent European competition:

“Despite having half of her roster in pre-season mode back home with their National Women’s Soccer League teams and missing talismanic captain Christine Sinclair and experienced forward Adriana Leon, the sixth-ranked Canadian women tied No. 8 England 1-1 and beat No. 3 Germany 1-0 before running into a stylish Spanish side that played well above its No. 9 ranking.”

Women’s Friendly delayed by lightning, so I missed the last 20 minutes or so.

OK, so the WWCQ/WOLQ are happening soon. USA play on 7/4, 7/7, 7/11.
1st and 2nd in each of the two Groups qualifies for the World Cup next year in Australia/NZ. 3rd places play in inter-confederation playoff.
Champion of the Tournament qualify for the 2024 Olympics, while runner-up and 3rd-Place match winner play in a play-in in September 2023.

Winning the tourney is of Paramount-Plus importance. Fewer play-in matches.

On what TV channel, you ask? None.
Streaming on Paramount+. Effing rip-off. Gonna guess there is absolutely nothing of note on CBS Sports Network while these are on. Yup, July 4 all day are repeats of Professional Bull Riding.

UPDATE: USWNT on CBS Sports Network 4-July.
CBS Sports Network doesn’t make its schedule known after about five days.

Reminder: the kids play tonight in the U-20 CONCACAF Championship Semifinal. Winner take all Olympic berth is on the line. US Men haven’t been to the Olympics since Beijing.