Unusual Claims

Is this an “auto accident”?

Is it even an “accident” from the insured’s viewpoint?

conclusion to the story:

1 Like

The takeaway here: when Geico denied coverage, it effectively waived its right to defend the insured against a claim that later attached.

I’d have to go back and understand the logic that let an arbitration award attach to Geico’s coverage, but once that’s established I think the rest (largely) follows.

3 Likes

The following is a terrible claim, but its magnitude makes it unusual.

Many of the facts of the case seem to not be in dispute. A cable company employee in Texas worked a service call at an elderly woman’s house. He returned on his day off while wearing his company uniform, and robbed and killed the woman.

He was arrested, pleaded guilty to the murder, and was sentenced to life in prison.

The woman’s family sued the cable company.

How much of the liability can be assigned to the murderer, Roy Holden, and how much can be assigned to the Cable company?

Well, a Texas jury put a number on the case, and the number is staggering.

The link is here:

That really makes me say WTF?!?!

1 Like

The key element on the cable guy murderer case, I think:

Was 50% of the award for the pain and suffering the victim spent waiting 3 hours past the window the company said they’d be there?

1 Like

I was just about to say that I’d read about that case on here a while back… thanks for the link!

Sounds like she had quite a sex drive

BUMP…
For the newest conclusion:

Stupid verdict in the first place.

2 Likes

why are people complaining about health insurance, just use your home and auto insurance

3 Likes

Let’s hear it for the lawyers! Woo!