UK General Election 2024

I will definitely be having a beer at brewdog later! My day would have been the best possible if Suella had also lost. Well, you can’t get everything on your dreams list.

5 Likes

Fareham is a pretty Conservative area so it was unlikely she would get the boot.

Hunt also managed to squeak through in Surrey (surprisingly)

FPTP is past its sell-by date though. We need to move to PR because the results are just absurd. See below:

2 Likes

I despise FPTP. I’d like to see a switch to single transferable ballot here in Canada. With our geography and population spread, proportional rep doesn’t seem like a good thing for more rural or northern areas.

1 Like

Darn. I thought this would be the year.

My biggest regret from yesterday is that I went to bed before they declared the results for that constituency.

Quick searching hasn’t turned up video or a picture of Sunak on stage with Lord Buckethead.

One way to split the difference would be to shift to a model where legislative districts are “super districts”, represented by 3-5 legislators, with voters casting votes for a single individual.

STV or RCV could be incorporated into such a model, but traditional FPTP (or in this case, first 3-5 past the post) wouldn’t necessarily suck so much.

You would still have legislators dedicated to a specific geographic area (albeit larger geographic areas than single-representative constituencies/ridings/districts, so there is still a risk of some rural areas being “lost” if the larger district includes a small city), but at least the delegation from the superdistrict should look more like the political makeup of the population, rather than the distortions you get from parties with similar portfolios splitting the vote in a multi-party system…or the mechanics that have led to the US having a political duopoly that locks out third parties. and increases the risk of polarization.

Something I’m going to spend time thinking about sometime is the implication of one other difference between Canada and the UK vs the US:

UK: 67 million people, 650 members of the House of Commons = 103k people per constituency

Canada: 39 million people, 338 members of the House of Commons = 115k people per riding

US: 333 million people, 435 members of House of Representatives = 766k people per congressional district

I wonder how legislators’ relationship with their constituents is different when their legislative districts are smaller population-wise.

In the US, the House of Representatives probably would be unworkable if it had more than 2000 or 3000 members…but perhaps my Congressperson would be more approachable and more responsive to my interests if I didn’t have to share them with 766k other people.

US may soon split into several smaller countries so that could alleviate the problem.

3 Likes

Yeah, I have nightmares like that sometimes.

This article covers the 2019 vs 2024 results for the UK.

It shows just how volatile FPTP becomes when you have more than two major parties.

Becomes very difficult to predict who might win because of the vote shares per seat.

Labour got a massive majority with only 34% of the vote.

Thats just completely lopsided.

The real story of this election is not really Labour. It’s really about Reform and the LDs splitting the Tory vote sufficiently all over the UK, which then allowed Labour to slip through and win in many areas.

Labour would have won anyways, but not with such a large majority.

3 Likes

Very concerned about Reform’s performance in this election and Farage finally getting in as a MP. They were second place here and I wish I could say I was surprised. I’m not sure Starmer has what it takes to hold them back, he is more likely to make the same mistakes Macron did.

2 Likes

The difficulty is some of these rural ridings are hundreds of thousands of millions of square kilometers (e.g. bigger than France or Germany) in area with very little population. You’d have to stretch across provincial or territorial boundaries to create a super riding in many cases which I don’t think is acceptable for the people in these ridings. It would work better for ridings in the large cities and high population areas.

Thought I’d mentioned it, but looking, seems like I didn’t. I think STV would be the easiest option to implement in Canada. You keep your local riding, but now you’re more likely to get a MP who matches your desires.

Sorry for yet another response.

I live in a province with 530k people. People are quite willing to phone you the Health Minister if they aren’t getting the treatment they need at the hospital or are struggling to get a family doctor. A friend of a friend works for a local MHA and she often gets phone calls at the office from people who don’t have money for food or rent or are having problems completing paperwork for government programs. Unfortunately, they also get lots of calls for Federal programs that are run by a different government. People have little clue as to what’s provincial and what’s federal.

Interestingly, back when I lived in Australia, I met a few people who were still annoyed that the government didn’t scrap states and territories when they had the opportunity. It would be interesting to see how well that amount of government work e.g. federal + city/region.

Indeed very interesting. I don’t know if you’re ever followed the politics in Madagascar. They had a very big problem there because the mayor of the capital and the president were basically trying to rule the same place. The places outside the capital are not significant. There were coups there after the mayor got very popular and had clashes with the gvt.

…and I should disclose that I wasn’t adequately caffeinated when I wrote that, and wasn’t thinking that STV is a multi-winner voting method (as opposed to conventional FPTP, RCV, etc.)

I would agree that STV is potentially superior than the “superdistrict, vote for only one” (really SNTV) structure I was describing in terms of representative outcomes, although that does come at the expense of complexity.

1 Like

I like Tom Rachman’s (Globe and Mail) succinct analysis of the UK election:

At last, Britain coughed out the gobbet in its windpipe, sending the long-governing, long-bungling Tories hurtling across the floor of Parliament into Opposition.

4 Likes

Does anybody still take Tony Blair’s advice?

1 Like

Brexit still life. :laughing:

8 Likes

That picture is so true.

Food in the UK has gotten much more expensive, its less fresh, and there are way fewer international food choices (which are far superior to local options).

I recently took my family to San Sebastian in Spain, and now Munich in Germany…and the difference vs London in terms of food quality and cost/benefit is massive now. This was not the case pre-Brexit.

Huh. No idea this would happen, or did no one believe the disinterested experts?

1 Like