Truthful Joe/Sane Joe/Wide-Awake Joe and the Polls

Not sure why Trump is being discarded by some here. With the new voting limitations in so many places, any state that enacted them would simply discard a loss by Trump in that state. Seems close to a layup for him to win in 2024 with the new rules in place. The speed of the lawsuits is so slow that they won’t be an issue in 2024 yet and he would then claim as a candidate, he doesn’t have time to deal with them, so they would be postponed even longer.

I’m not following what you mean by this. Not saying you’re wrong, just that it went :oyh:

The new voting laws being enacted allow for states to overturn actual election results if they say they are tainted and appoint their own electors. So any state that has such a law could simply say the election was tainted and say tat Trump won and appoint GOP electors.

Oh, I haven’t been following that at all. Which states have these laws?

"STATE ELECTION BOARD

The law created a new chair of the State Election Board, filling a post previously held by the Secretary of State with a “nonpartisan” executive appointed through the state legislature. Republicans currently control the legislature.

The law also gives the State Election Board the ability to suspend county election officials for poor performance or violations of state election regulations. Democrats worry that provision will allow the Republican-controlled board to install Republican partisans to oversee election counts.

Republicans say guardrails are built into the law to prevent quick or easy removal. Such an action requires a minimum of three violations of election rules or demonstration of “gross negligence” or “malfeasance” over the span of two consecutive elections."

It’s not only the changes in these laws, but also candidates that have powers over elections like many Sec of States that are now running on the idea that the election was fraudulent and results should have been tossed.

We survived 2020 because many of these state positions were filled with decent people who risked death threats and a loss in the next election and chose not to cave under the pressure. I am not sure that 2024 will be safe. It makes the thought of Trump running again frightening, because we know he will do everything he did in 2020 and more to “win”. I don’t think other notable Republicans could go to that level, but the playbook has been set for it to happen.

It seems to, ironically, give an extra incentive to try to commit fraud in the election.

1 Like

Is it ironic if that is the intention behind it?

This seems like an optimistic outlook.

What obligation do the states have to actually hold elections for POTUS in the first place?

Could a state pass a law that says the state legislature will appoint electors in all POTUS elections?

AFAIK, only those imposed by their state constitutions.

1 Like

My understanding is that citizen Twig does not have a US Constitutional right to vote for POTUS.

We already know that citizen Twig can vote in presidential primaries, but those votes are only considered as “advisory” by the national parties and they can choose whomever they want to choose as their POTUS candidate.

I’m on another message board that skews heavily R, and this poll was posted today-

You can do the math.

[

Edit](View source for Political party strength in U.S. states - Wikipedia)

On December 17, 2020, Gallup polling found that 31% of Americans identified as Democrats, 25% identified as Republican, and 41% as Independent.

I don’t think Harris can even win a Democratic primary, much less the Presidential election. .

Being the incumbent VP will probably help with that. Not that I want it to. I am on Team Amy!

I don’t think a Harris campaign can even make it as far as the first democrat primary…

just sayin’

1 Like