Trump Arrest Watch

Many (most?) states have some caps on punitive damages, but I don’t think NY does

1 Like

The jury wanted to award $5m. They apparently didn’t have an actuary among them to make the different components logically consistent.

3 Likes

Thanks, that makes $300k in punitive damages. I saw “acted maliciously …” and didn’t know what to make of that.

Still just one ten-thousandth of his net worth.

I think this really is one of the times where the conviction (verdict?) is what was sought more than monetary damages. her attorney didn’t even request a figure for damages, just “what you guys think is fair”

1 Like

Along that line, she got $1.7 million for “a reputation repair program only”. I’ll be curious what that involves, and how far $1.7 million goes.

Pure speculation, but with a good chunk of the right-wing frothing about it having been a sham trial, may have been influenced to not look like it was the witch hunt it was claimed to me. I hope I’m wrong as that would feel like a tiered justice system.

(FYI - I thought we had a George Santos thread? I was going to post his latest woes of DoJ charging him but I must have been thinking of discussion in other threads.)

The Santos indictment is in the GOP Darndest Things thread.

1 Like

The Conservative subreddit is a trash fire right now and I’m loving it. The MAGA and former MAGA people are fighting. Unfortunately the mods are removing most comments, especially top-level ones critical of Trump so you have to view the archives to see it. In this case the top-level comment was removed. Likely just because they came later and lower in the thread, the responses here remained up. Some threads are entirely nuked.

That subreddit has long been for immediate bans of anybody criticizing Trump, this is wild.

(Should be a non-paywalled link)

1 Like

Yep. I read about Trump’s comments in the CNN “townhall” and wondered if Carroll could sue again. We’ve already had a jury decide that her description of the sexual assault is true. When Trump says it isn’t, he’s taking a big step toward another defamation lawsuit.

I’ll repeat that IMO the $5 million wasn’t enough to get him to change his behavior.

Trump being Trump, I don’t think there’s a civil penalty large enough to get him to voluntarily change his behavior.

To effect behavioral change, you would probably need to hogtie and gag him.

2 Likes

Some people are into that tho

Tarring and feathering would seem perhaps appropriate…

Some people are into that tho.

1 Like

Draw and quartering?

I’ll have to search on a non-work computer for “draw and quartering as kink.” I’m sure someone has tried it tho.

1 Like

By triggering another lawsuit, he’s probably just playing some kind of 8D chess that our 3D fluoridated JSA brains are too stoopid to comprehend.

4 Likes

Did the search on my phone in private mode for you. Um, it’s a thing. Doesn’t seem to be super popular, but it exists.

1 Like

This was probably too much of an escalation…
So, stocks & pillory?

can’t post the link

2 Likes