Tribute thread - 20 years ago today!

On the anniversary of 9/11, I liked being able to look back at the reactions on the ao in real time from the 9/11 thread actually made on 9/11/2001 in political. Now it’s gone :frowning:

3 Likes

that is a huge loss. Thanks DWS!

4 Likes

I did that too actually. It was kind of sad and crazy and gave you chills to read people’s real time reactions.

3 Likes

I don’t think I read that but I would have this year if it was available. We avoided watching commemorative shows this year because “I can’t watch any more senseless deaths.”

1 Like

Based on my fb status update, on September 15, 2020, one year ago is when the ao started it’s demise into death.

And just now I earned this badge!

Devotee - GoActuary

last month I would have hit the 20 year mark on the ao. :frowning:

i’m old.

21 years ago yesterday the ao was born!

i forgot to bump this yesterday.

happy birthday ao! sorry that you suck now and are a shell of your former self.

3 Likes

I was cheated out of a 20-year badge. :cry:

3 Likes

also thanks to traci and glenn for having GoActuary for us to migrate to.

2 Likes

So how long ago was the CAS watercooler?

not sure but i think the WC died coincidentally close to when the ao formed.

i wasn’t on the WC as i’m not on the CAS side.

The watercooler didn’t exist when I changed jobs in 96.

When I changed jobs in 98 (the result of an acquisition), I don’t remember participating in discussion about the acquisition on the WC…but also think I have (conflicting?) memories of it being around, probably just getting started, when I was at the company I left in 98.

It definitely was in existence in 99, and my memories of it being locked during exams would suggest that it was probably in existence late in 98.

The WC lingered on for maybe a year, or slightly more, after the AO opened. I joined the AO slightly before events obliged the CAS to crack down on the WC.

This is not the greatest thread in the world.

3 Likes

the ao also started on some other hosting site prior to migrating to the website we know it as on September 8, 2001. I don’t know when that date was exactly. i only lurked there a bit.

I started out posting in the CAS Watercooler. I had an ao account, but it was sparsely used. After the thanksgiving morning spew, the resulting CAS crackdown and removal of anonymity turned their message board into a ghost town. Like many that were part of the CAS watercooler, I migrated to the AO shortly thereafter.

1 Like

oh, it’s here, 99-2000’ish.

Too bad the old AO isn’t still around. I could now legally buy her a shot.

1 Like

1 Like

How did no one respond:

Sgt Pepper taught the band to play!

1 Like