Tribute thread - 20 years ago today!

I liked that I could see who was on flash chat but I wished I could hide when I was on.

when flashchat was very new, there was a glitch where if you sat there long enough, you turned invisible, and could spy on people.

then later there was a backtiming glitch to backtime to a random spot and also spy on people. i found some cool stuff that way.

there was a thread in the reef for flashchat highlights. once, Quinn went into flashchat while two other people were in there. She backtimed the regular way which gave you something like 20 lines. It revealed them cybering. She asked nicely if she could put it in chat highlights in the reef and they got all pissy and said no :frowning:

Yes, RIP.

He left us to post on a more liberal forum, and later died of some weird seizure. A friend of his posted a nice obituary.

1 Like

I have a distinct recollection that actuary.ca existed well before actuarialoutpost.com.

The reason I think I’m right is that I used to have to go to actuary.ca which I never would have done if actuarialoutpost.com already existed.

Of course, I might be misremembering. I very well might be misremembering.

Also, as I recall, the site was referred to as “rebel outpost” before changing it to the more neutral “actuarial outpost”. This may have been related to trying to convince the SOA to post a link to us on their site. That was a course in circular logic…okay, maybe not circular, but “we’re making up reasons as we go along”. Again, I have the mind of a 120 year old in his last month of the mortality table.

The mortality tables I use say 120+, so you’ll still be good at age 121…

2 Likes

I think you’re correctomundo. Actuary.ca was registered in 2000. I scored my first name.ca at the same time. Then the community must’ve decided they were rebels, and we morphed over to the AO domain.
That smells right to me.

1 Like

Just for reference:

RebelOutpost Bday:
Actuarial Outpost Bday: 9/8/2001
GoActuary Bday: Somewhere around Jan 23, 2020 I got invited

RebelOutpost birthday is the same as actuarialoutpost birthday. The name just changed. There was a prior version on a different forum that didn’t have either name.

Was www. rebeloutpost .com ever actually us?

I remember going to www. actuary .ca and the website was called Rebel Outpost and posters referred to it as ROF … which I think stood for Rebel Outpost Forum.

But I don’t recall the actual domain including rebeloutpost

That said, despite spending an inordinate amount of time on the site… I could well be remembering wrong. And I didn’t join until 2003 so I’m a relative newbie I guess.

Nope, we never owned rebeloutpost.com. People on the forum were referring to the site as the RO, so I emailed the guy who owned the domain. He was friendly, but declined to sell.
I wonder if they’d sell it now. Eh, really doesn’t matter now. Plus, we’d likely get some random star wars traffic that we don’t want.

1 Like

ooooh, for some reason i thought the website was actually rebeloutpost.com. my memory sucks.

FWIW, this is my recollection as well.

I distinctly remember being confused when actuary.ca started redirecting to actuarialoutpost… what the heck?!?!?!

Getting actuary.ca was a total score.
used to be you couldn’t get a .ca domain unless you could prove you had physical locations in different provinces. otherwise, you could only register stuff like actuary.on.ca or actuary.bc.ca etc.
Then they changed that to allow anyone to register a .ca. Which of course was going to cause a land rush. So they started with a lottery system. I entered, and got actuary.ca and my first name.ca. Pretty happy with both, I still keep my name domain for personal emails.

true story, I was surfing for domains years ago, and found a .ca domain that wouldn’t register. it made no sense. some names are reserved, but no way this one was. Then I remembered the transition rules when we went from the .on.ca/.bc.ca mess over to .ca’s. So, I could own insurance.on.ca, and you could own insurance.bc.ca. If that was the case, neither could register insurance.ca. You had to own all the variations of insurance.province.ca to trade up to insurance.ca.

So I went looking for the domain.on.ca, domain.bc.ca, through all the provinces. And one guy in one province owned the domain. I approached the guy multiple times over years. $2k. No. $2k. No. 4K. No. dammit. I finally offered $10K and the guy took it. That gave me ‘all the registered provincial variations’ because there was only one. Traded up to a .ca, and got a sweet domain. I think the guy thought he only had the provincial variation and didn’t know he could’ve switched to a .ca. I also suspect that I was lucky to have known that really insignificant detail.

US or Canadian? :stuck_out_tongue:

That must just be Canadian money, not real money.

In Canadia 10k is about enough for breakfast at a Tim Hortons, a bowl of poutine for lunch, a toque and maybe a case of hockey pucks. So all in all, a good deal. Soory.

6 Likes

:laughing:

I would say that was a hugely significant detail! Esoteric, perhaps, but significant.

did you include “I do not want to lose this deal - THANKS!” as part of the communications? or that your offer was $10K but really he should pay for half?

5 Likes

The AO made me smarter and I’ll always appreciate it for that. If I could do it again, I’d probably go to a 'potacular or two.

2 Likes