Travel advice

average looking. the chick who did wind up sitting next to them appeared to become BFF with them.

because the flight attendants said about 15 times as we were boarding that the flight isn’t full and there is room to spread out. so why immediately go for a row that already had someone in it?

:popcorn:

You said, and I quote, “2 chicks”. I further assumed they came up to you… at the same time!!! :popcorn:

well one approached me and asked if the seat was taken and then said and ya, my friend is gonna sit there too and then the friend approached and then i went to another row.

2 Likes

I believe typo and she meant window, middle next to her

i meant window and middle next to me. will fix the typo.

:exploding_head:

In other words, you lost that deal?

2 Likes

well yes, i lost the deal of possible friendship for the life of the flight, but the deal i did gain was to have an empty seat next to me.

You at least had the option, unlike my 2 chicks at the same time on a plane story. :frowning:

If you and a companion are on an overseas flight with Delta and would like extra legroom, which of these 2 options would be more desirable?

1. For an extra $200 per person, fly Comfort+, get an extra few inches of legroom plus a few other perks

2. For less than half the price, fly in an exit row in main cabin. It’s right by the door so we wouldn’t be able to stow a bag under the seat.

Less than half what price? Less than half of $200?

Sometimes the exit row seats have the tray tables on the sides instead of in front. Provides a nice buffer between you and a stranger, but if you’re going with your SO it means you can’t snuggle as easily. This does vary by aircraft though.

You might compare the difference in amenities. They used to include alcohol in coach on international flights, for example. I can’t recall if they still do. I don’t fly international that often and last time I did I sprang for first class.

Go to reddit r/Delta and ask the question. You’ll get a much more detailed explanation of the seat differences.

True, and in these cases the width of the seat is slightly reduced.

One helpful website to see specifics on each aircraft is seat guru. It identifies potential issues with certain seats, including identifying seats with the tray tables on the sides if that is an important positive or negative for you. Here’s one Delta international configuration there:

1 Like

Exit row seat in main cabin is $90 extra per flight for a window seat and no extra charge for a middle, so total upcharge would be $180 for the two of us rather than $400. The extra perks on comfort plus are not that significant. Pillow, blanket, amenity kit, get on/off the plane a few minutes sooner, more free snacks and alcohol, and “dedicated overhead space.” I’m guessing they no longer have meal service for economy passengers, but even with a 12-13 hour flight free snacks wouldn’t make any difference.

I checked Seatguru, but they didn’t have the exact configuration of the A-350 we’ll be on. Usually the economy/exit row seats near aircraft doors gets yellow designation, because of the lack of storage and proximity to bathroom.

No meals for economy on a 12-13 hour flight doesn’t sound right to me. Are you sure about that?

You can probably go on the airline’s app and see exactly what amenities are included.

Looks like Delta still offers meal service to economy passengers for long flights. Good thing, since both flights will be leaving in the late morning/early afternoon so probably won’t be doing a whole lot of sleeping.

Yeah, probably alcohol too. I think this is because the complexity of paying taxes on the amount they charge for food & alcohol is too complex when flying internationally so they just build it into the fare which makes it a lot simpler.

And 12 hours is way too long to not feed you. They don’t want people going into diabetic shock over the ocean.

Yes, definitely alcohol, so if I’m going to be taking advantage of it then an exit row near the WC is probably the better option.

1 Like