Total Eclipse Of The Heart

Any plans?
Travelling to where you can see a higher %?

I blocked the time on my calendar, Mrs. PZ and I will walk down to the beach.
Should be around 88% here.

Unless you can travel to totality, you’re probably fine where you are.

5 Likes

I saw the one in 2017. Id recommend the experience if you can get to totality and haven’t seen one before. The chart is accurate, 99% and 100% are vastly different.

I’m on the fence about spending a few hours in the car for this one.

4 Likes

I am planning on driving out on Monday to a small town that is on the eclipse path. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I saw the one in 2017 too. It was amazing.

Wish I could make it to this one.

1 Like

This is my game day option. May depend on the weather.

1 Like
3 Likes

We saw 2017 at Chester, Illinois on the river. It got very surreal when the penumbral shadow hit, totality was awesome. Chester had people, but it wasn’t totally packed and we got out pretty easily.

We’ll see Monday on the farm Mrs. Hoffman grew up on. 3 minutes and change of totality, no crowds and no traffic to or from. We could go about 50 miles east or south and get an extra minute of totality, but … shitloads of people, shitloads of traffic.

Heading out to my father-in-law’s who is in the path of totality — Ottawa is only at 98% so figured I’d get the full effect.

We got to watch in my in-laws back yard in Idaho. We started trying to drive home that night, then decided going back and spending another night made more sense.

1 Like

I saw the total eclipse in 2017 and it was great. Nobody else in my family thinks so, so I’ll apparently be watching a partial eclipse this time if possible.

Driving home in 2017 was a nightmare. I left right after the eclipse and a ride that normally takes 5 hours took over twice that. The interstate crept at feet per minute for a long time. I made the mistake of trusting Google Maps for an alternative. Their data clearly didn’t account for the incredibly unusual traffic pattern. Don’t trust it. Bring something to pee into. Bring drinks and snacks. If I had it to do over again, I’d have waited before trying to get home - maybe until the next day.

4 Likes

Flew about 3 hours in 2017 for the awesomeness. Drove about 3 hours today, fingers crossed.

2 Likes

I lived in the path during 2017, so didn’t have to go very far other than dodge a few clouds creeping towards us as time approached.

Dealing with lots of people and hours of traffic without enthusiastic company is really limiting me on this one.

I had a friend who was dead center on the path in 2017 invite some people over to spend the afternoon at his pool. Apparently a cloud came through right when totality happened and they all missed it (well, the full ring/ corona)

Uh, you didn’t look up ahead of time and realize you could just go a few blocks down the street?

Nah, we didn’t want to leave the pool. It was cool enough.

going to a state park in southern Missouri for almost 4 minutes of totality. Was in the path of totality in 2017 for about 1:30, which was a pretty cool experience as I (and a lady friend) went to the local amphitheater where they had an event going on with music, food trucks, and a couple of thousand people. I think this is going to be more chill, will drive about 2 hours and try to get there around 10 am, so I have a couple of hours to hike around and explore the park first, then probably just hang around and chat with other visitors.

1 Like

Had already traveled within 90 minutes of totality for colorguard competition this weekend, so going to do the next 90 minutes tomorrow (sure hope traffic holds to moderate, but giving 4.5 hrs pad to 90 minutes). Will eat lunch and hang out, like we did in 2017. I know the clouds are likely to ruin it compared to 2017, but everyone in the car is on board with the risk. Of course the 6hr (regular) trip home will be the real test :laughing:

1 Like

Gentle reminder, don’t do what Donny don’t does.

5 Likes

Weather forecast is calling for lotsa clouds, but some sun tomorrow. :crossed_fingers:

perhaps the most impressive thing any president has ever done

1 Like