Toilet seat etiquette

What about on the floor?

We have a shared hobby of disdain for others, glad you picked up on it.

1 Like

Every human ever.

I don’t know what that means.

Disdain for others. We all share that hobby.

True story: 8yo left the seat up, 5yo fell into the toilet ass first (better than face first I guess?).

Disagree: the functional stuff means that if you don’t want the entire bathroom covered in poo and pee then you need to put the lid down before every single flush. May as well leave it down once the flush is complete.

As often as you flush the toilet with the lid open. So possibilities range from never to every single flush.

I’ve conceded the cover thing. This thread was inspired by unisex (and men’s) public restrooms that have no cover though.

Oh, OK. I think it’s considerate for men to put the seat down in those… sort of a chivalry thing. But women shouldn’t expect that the person prior to them was either someone who was sitting down or a considerate man. They should be expecting the distinct possibility of an inconsiderate man.

For public unisex toilets with no lid, household survey says down, so you can see at a glance what you’re getting into. No one wants to touch a toilet seat and find pee on it.

I’ve never met anyone in my life that closes the lid when they flush. Plus I thought this was a discussion about the the seat only, not the lid.

That makes sense.

I personally like to know that the flush did the job. I guess that can be accomplished by lifting the cover back up, but that’s extra work…

All of life is extra work.

That most of us try to avoid whenever possible.

I don’t really feel like that’s true? Especially as actuaries.

The path of least resistance would mean never getting out of bed on the weekends or putting on clothes. Or engaging in dialogue.

And why even pee in a toilet when the sink is closer? The minimal effort shtick seems toilet-specific.

Minimize effort while maximizing utility. That’s what most of us do. If you could provide a similar lifestyle* to the one you have now by eating ice cream for a living, you’d be pretty tempted. Throw in some educational YouTube videos to keep your mind sharp, if you are into that.

*money, health, etc

The sink is definitely not closer for the average guy. peeing down is much easier than peeing up. Now, a lot of people pee in the shower because it’s easier.

It’s all pipes!!!

2 Likes