Toilet seat etiquette

Hey, if I’m at the urinal and gassy, I let it rip!!! :cyclone:

Lid closed is the right answer.

1 Like

I ALWAYS need the seat down, and you sometimes do, and assuming neither of us has bladder issues, that means the seat needs to be down more often that not.

I also CAN’T pee standing up. You, however, can pee sitting down.

I have also fallen into the bowl because of a seat left up.

I put the seat and lid down, because of poo air flurries.

Well, yeah - but the question is: is it any more work for you to put the seat down before than it is for me to put the seat down after?

I’m getting the aesthetic stuff. That makes sense. The functional stuff comes down to which party should be the one that has to pay attention to what is going on.

You’re asking me to always put in effort so you can avoid putting in effort 90% of the time. When you could choose to just sit down to pee and neither of us would have to put in more effort than the other.

Plus, added bonus, no one falls into toilet water at 3 am.

I told Mr. NA about this thread and he scoffed and rolled his eyes. “How is that even a question?”

1 Like

I always close the full lid. If you are going to use the bathroom, you open either just the top to sit, or both to pee standing up. My 4-year old can handle this and closes the full lid each time. Both genders do the same amount of work plus fewer poop particles flying onto your toothbrushes.

2 Likes

The lid thing makes sense. The experience that prompted the thread was in a unisex* public restroom without lids, though.

I guess you could go with “habit based on the lid thing at home”.

*would also apply to men’s restrooms where the toilets get used often as urinals. I have to put the seat down in those quite often before sitting.

Closed lid:

Aesthetics
Consistent expectations
Practicality (keep toilet contents in, non-toilet contents out)

1 Like

open lid >>> effort

How often do your toilet contents escape??? :grimacing: :nauseated_face:

Does Echo drink outta the terlet??? :roll_eyes: :woozy_face:

How often do your toilet contents escape??? :grimacing: :nauseated_face:

Does Echo drink outta the terlet??? :roll_eyes: :woozy_face:

Apparently, droplets spray out when it flushes. It isn’t something I’ve ever worried about, though.

Oh, I thought there might have been alligators or something… :upside_down_face:

sounds like you guys are a good match

Yeah, but I’m not that worried about bacteria that already populate my gut. I mean, yeah, it’s gross. But probably irrelevant health-wise, unless you catch a gut disease that others who use your bathroom don’t have.

Also, falling into the toilet is a concern for no adult ever, unless you’re Thumbelina, or have extremely poor reflexes where the cold ceramic rim doesn’t make you jump straight back up.

IFYP

I didn’t give her the chance but wouldn’t put it past her. She’ll drink just about anything.:nauseated_face:

There should be a checklist next to the toilet that says:

1. Seat in correct position
  2. No fluids on seat
  3. Enough toilet paper to spare a square
  4. Magazines are stocked and up to date

That puts the checklist in the responsibility of the user :judge:

No fluid under seat either