Today I learned

In Soviet Russia, hot water is delivered to you.

Then, a hot water pipe burst on the street near her building Jan. 17, sending a geyser of hot water and steam into the air.

Throughout late December and early January, Russian media was awash with coverage of accidents involving the country’s sprawling utility networks, which consist of heating and hot water mains.

1 Like

Huh, it’s a whole thing. TIalsoL.

1 Like

Heck, the university in town uses this. Not isolated to the north.

1 Like

Which town are you talking about?

Wait, my memory is really fuzzy, is this type of heating a thing in Hartford, CT? I used to go there years ago to have meetings with Aetna and in the back of my brain I think I read that somewhere. Not for new construction, just the older downtown area.

I’d think that each building, similar to old NYC buildings with those radiators, and not whole towns (Soviet-style), would have independent heaters that use water. A LOT fewer pipes to maintain.

UAB in Birmingham, AL has a good number of buildings on this kind of system. Occasionally you see a leak coming out on the streets.

1 Like

Not the whole town, but a section of it appears to be heated by one massive boiler with lots of pipes. It’s all pipes!

2 Likes

Still, a private company. Not “the government,” as in (Yakov) former Soviet Russia.

Well now you’re just making up distinctions.

In Soviet Russia, distinctions make up you!

3 Likes

Not sure about now, but when I was in college they had a steam generating plant on campus and the steam was piped to all the buildings for use in heating. They piped it under the sidewalks, which they didn’t insulate too well, so a lot of the sidewalks were heated / didn’t get icy or snowy in winter.

Doesn’t seem like the most efficient method for heating, but it worked. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

A lot of places up north have heated sidewalks so that they don’t get icy. It’s nice but terribly inefficient.

I thought it was all ball bearings these days…

3 Likes

Virginia Tech has a semi-famous network of tunnels. The tunnels has it’s own deep (dark?) web site for years.

Here’s a site from the ‘regular’ web.

RN

The building I used to work in was required to put heaters in the front steps because the building faced north and those steps would be in the shade of the building 100% of the time during the winter and they were required to ensure the steps did not get icy.

1 Like

I went to North Dakota State. We had a few spots that were notorius for getting icy. You either learned to walk on the ice or took a detour around it.

1 Like

once a bison…

my son graduated a couple of yrs ago and still lives in fargo. #livingthedream!

2 Likes

That the “normal” body temperature for humans of 98.6 Fahrenheit is the result of bad rounding.

A large study found that the average temperature of healthy adults to be 36.88 Celcius or 98.38 Fahrenheit. This was widely reported as 98.4 in Fahrenheit-using countries and 37 in Celcius-using countries.

But since 37 Celcius equals 98.6 Fahrenheit, the Fahrenheit countries later switched from a more accurate number to a less accurate one.

:woman_facepalming:

4 Likes