Today I learned

I ran into it in kindergarten. It kind of freaked me out at the time. All these kids with visibly dirty faces. Someone told me what was going on.

I’ve never actually noticed it. I know it’s a thing, but I don’t think I’ve ever noticed someone with ash on their forehead.

Maybe if they put ash on their shoes instead…

2 Likes

I think I can take first place here. In the 80’s when I went to the city for school (right off the farm, and I mean right off the farm), I see people eating donuts for breakfast and was like, wtf that much sugar first thing?
They were bagels. I’d never heard of a bagel before I was about 19.

So, you knew what donuts were, and were just surprised people were eating them for breakfast? What time of day did you eat donuts on the farm?

You don’t have Catholics in your area? Really?

1 Like

Not for breakfast, that’s for sure. Who does that?

I didn’t say there were no Catholics, but the ones that were there never walked around town with marks on their forehead.
Also, it was a large rural area not very well populated. So not much of a density of any religion.
There certainly wasn’t any religion other than Christianity either. No Jewish folks for example.
One Asian kid in the entire high school, everyone else white.

It’s not my fault, it’s just where I grew up. Lack of diversity is one reason I don’t live there anymore. I got out.

2 Likes

lol at the sequence of these two posts…

8 Likes

quite the juxtaposition, I say. :tup:

He probably had Episcopalians for breakfast. They’re a lot like Catholics, only they’re different.

1 Like

Not just Catholics, mainline Protestants do Ash Wednesday too. BUT, probably a majority of the folks you see walking around with ashes on their foreheads during the day are Catholic because Protestants tend to only have Ash Wednesday services in the evening. Whereas most Catholic churches will have a mass or two early in the morning that people might go to before work.

Not a hard & fast rule or anything. Protestant churches can have an Ash Wednesday service in the morning but most of them don’t.

Just saw some cooking show, a week or two ago, where they were talking mango varieties, but no idea what it was. First time I heard it mentioned, never really thought about it

Everyone?

1 Like

Huh. TIL.

I know a lot of mainline Protestants, but have never seen one with ashes on their forehead. Perhaps this is why.

1 Like

Perhaps it’s American thing. So more of a subset of everyone.
If Canadians are having crap for breakfast, it’d be a muffin. And the way they make muffins at the coffee shops, not much difference from a donut.

Timmy’s puts the calorie counts on stuff these days: I was shocked to see the muffins had more calories than the donuts!!!

A bagel with a big shmear of cream cheese is prolly just as fattening as a muffin.

The bagel has more calories, but it’s all starch and fat. A donut has a ton of sugar, too.

I don’t like eating sugar for breakfast. I feel “off” if there’s too much sugar in my breakfast. Maybe it’s psychosomatic, but i don’t understand donuts for breakfast, either.

I scoop my bagels

Yeah, I go to an Ash Wednesday service every year (maybe not consistently in college) but they’re usually at 7:00 or 7:30 PM and last an hour. And I have work the next day so afterwards I’m probably just going straight home. Maybe the grocery store or the gas station. I’ve never been to a morning Ash Wednesday service so you’ll never see me at work with ashes on my forehead.

1 Like

That’s why they invented meat. For breakfast.