Thread to discuss when the police kill a civilian

It’s unprofessional in the same way that Trump politicizing mask wearing was unpresidential.

Censure is more likely than this being grounds for a valid appeal.
They have to prove that a juror was influenced by her comments.

Also, incredibly irresponsible for Cahill to not have sequestered this jury as soon as Wright was murdered.

Yeah, I don’t understand why this jury wasn’t sequestered ages ago.

1 Like

Was the trial expected to take a long time? I know it’s a very extreme example, but in the OJ Simpson murder case, the jury had gotten sick of being sequestered and simply didn’t deliberate.

guilty on all 3

4 Likes

… wait, what?

What’s the upside? Just wait to let the system play out, then say something. Don’t say anything until then. We’ve already seen one lawyer’s (the judge) opinion that saying things could accidentally give the defense ammunition. What if it’d been a mistrial due to hung jury? Just wait. Ezpz.

Happy 4/20!

It’s irrelevant to a sequestered jury.

But Biden was asked about the phone call to Floyds brother IIRC. He gave an answer that mostly gave color as to why he felt he should have made the call. Yes, that included an indication of how he felt about the trial, but he left it at that and moved on.

Making the call could be important in the event of a not guilty verdict in using the family members to try and keep some level of calm. Michael Browns family saying to burn things down when that officer was not even charged…probably want to make sure not to see a repeat of that.

I’ll give you everything here except for piping in about how he felt about the trial, but that’s a really big deal that a person who’s a lawyer and has been in federal office for almost 50 years would make a comment like that without being a juror. I guarantee you he was not following every detail of the case like the jury was. (he couldn’t have been, he has real President things to do) He knows how important innocent until proven guilty is to our system.

Yet again Biden won the day here. He has proven time and time again to be a fundamentally decent human being and cognizant of timing. He didn’t say anything until the jury was sequestered and he called the Floyd family to pray with them. I don’t agree with him politically all the time, but I am glad he is our President.

9 Likes

Completely agree with every word.

I know this is Fox, so take it for what it’s worth, but a former federal prosecutor does not agree with you guys, and agrees with me that it was reckless.

It’s a bait and switch. What Maxine Waters did was wrong, what Biden did wasn’t a big deal (from a judicial perspective, empathetic from a societal perspective), we (mostly, I think?) agree on the former, I think the latter claim of impropriety loses all teeth when you look at it in isolation.

I think almost everyone on here agrees with the former that what Maxine Waters did was beyond stupid and she ended up hurting her case more than helped. I still contend that Biden really had no reason to give any of his thoughts on the trial; he wasn’t in the courtroom, he didn’t know all the details. He has been a lawyer for over 50 years, he knows better. Asking for calm either way is one thing… throwing in his thoughts on the trial is another. IANAL, I don’t know how much ammo this gives, but now we have both a former federal prosecutor and the judge in the case both already talking appeal.

For Biden I think the point is he’s not a lawyer in his current role, he is POTUS which has historically included things like moral leader of a country that has struggled with police violence, particularly over the last year.

Again I think Biden’s actions in isolation don’t impact the validity of an appeal, that’s entirely related to Maxine Water’s actions. It’s impossible Biden influenced the jury when they were already sequestered and deliberating.

1 Like

Did you read the article? This point is explicitly addressed.

Most of it, but I’ve gone back because of your reply, which relies on…

Yeah, he’s just upset about it. He also said:

which is the entire point

how the heck could the jury not have pre-conceived opinions on this trial before the trial even happened? i’m not sure how a few leaders giving their opinions, which we likely all knew anyway will sway them.

why is maxine waters oh so important that the jury would be like, i was totally gonna vote innocent, but maxine waters thinks he’s guilty? so changing my mind!

You’re basically arguing the appeal that the trial should have never happened in MN. Chauvin has a right to a fair trial of his peers, if you think the jurors were already swayed significantly by things other than the facts presented in the trial then he didn’t receive a fair trial.

Waters probably didn’t sway anyone, but she sure didn’t help. Honestly I’d have preferred Biden wait too, but Waters was egregious.

i’m not sure you could live in america and not have an opinion on this case already. the video was all over the internet.

i mean, maybe i could have made a good juror. i didn’t actually watch the video. i did hear a ton of talk about it though and saw all the protests and rioting that resulted though. the protests and rioting weren’t only in MN.