I have the best veins

1 Like

:bump:

Double red

5 Likes

Me too! Got done about a half hour ago!

5 Likes

Today for me!

My bloodletter today told me there is a bag shortage, so they have to use a different kind of bag. I was verrrrrry nervous when she was asking basic questions about how the bags work, thought I might have a first-timer.

2 Likes

she was asking you questions about the bag?

and I just realized that you didn’t receive a letter asking for blood and telling you about the bags

1 Like

Hah, fortunately no, she was asking the supervisor.

It looks like they are at least looking to change the guidelines for gay men who are not living a free and easy life style

Is there still a prohibition for former IV drug users, even if it’s been 40 years or so since last use? Asking for a friend…

1 Like

I think it’s within the last year now, at least in the US. It might even be less than a year, but it’s not a question I’ve given much thought.

Donated blood before lunch today. Red Cross was set up downstairs from my office so it was convenient. In and out in about 30 minutes. I still have some fast-pumping veins!

5 Likes

Just got back from a double red donation! :drop_of_blood: :drop_of_blood:

5 Likes

Down a bag of O+

5 Likes

Bump.

Had planned to do it two weeks ago, but started my period, and I can never meet the iron requirements when I’m on my period, so pushed it off two weeks. I think it’s been 11 or 12 weeks since I donated, as I did it before my surgery.

1 Like

I agreed to let a trainee take my blood. Left with a parting gift of ice packs and wrap for bruising.

4 Likes

I don’t even let trainees take blood samples for medical tests. (Yes, I ask.) They can practice on someone like my husband who doesn’t flinch and has big easy veins.

1 Like

They’ve published the updated rules. You still shouldn’t donate if you are on PreP or PEP, of if you’ve had a new partner for anal sex in the past 3 months. (without regards to sexuality.) But many gay men (including ones who aren’t celibate) will be eligible to donate.

gift link:

The current rule on IV drug use is “wait 3 months”

Wait 3 months after using IV drugs that were not prescribed by a physician. This requirement is related to concerns about hepatitis and HIV.

Blood Donor Eligibility Criteria | Red Cross Blood Services

I don’t think my veins are particularly difficult but I do have scar tissue from regularly donating.

I have never given blood before. I remember in high school a couple kids on the cross country gave blood their senior year during homecoming week and ran like sh!t the rest of their senior season. I’ve been suspect of the 1-2 week recovery window ever since

Maybe when I’m done for hood with working out/competing I will give giving blood a whirl