Thread for me to document the sad stories that twitter insists on pushing to my phone

Recently, twitter has been insisting on pushing the saddest stories to my phone that it can find. wtf, why is it doing this? I have no idea. But I shall use this thread to document said stories.

1. (11) :fire:Dr. Jeannette Opposes GQP coups :ocean:#TeamPelosi on Twitter: ā€œ:pray::pray:Please if you pray. Pray. My one y/o grandson being rushed to ER by ambulance. Oxygen under 90. :sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob:They wonā€™t let me in.ā€ / Twitter

2. (11) G.Valimontā³#ALSā³ on Twitter: ā€œEveryone in my family is dying. My 44yo husband was diagnosed with ALS, 7 months ago. He can no longer speak or walk. Last week, my 8yo was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor. His light has gone out. Me, of heartbreak.ā€ / Twitter

for the 2nd one, is an appropriate response ā€œbetter to have loved and lost than never to have loved at allā€ to this crap invading my happy space?

When Stu dies, Iā€™ll come to you for a good laugh. :wink:

[and no, Iā€™m not putting any of this shit on twitter or facebook, ffs]

Also, most of my top twitter results (other than getting my other accountā€™s tweets) are public finance-related, data science stuff, and Art Nouveau. Would you prefer that? I mean, Iā€™ve been on twitter since 2008, and Iā€™ve trained their algorithm, so I donā€™t get this weepy stuff.

What Iā€™m saying is: itā€™s your own fault youā€™re getting this.

how the heck is this my fault??? iā€™m barely on twitter at all. twitter just decided to send this to my phone!

i used to read twitter a little bit to see what crazy shit trump was saying, but not for sob stories. now iā€™m not really on there at all, but my phone keeps sending me these!

Why is Twitter sending anything to your phone? Iā€™m sure there are settings you can change, if you so desire.

2 Likes

no clue. i also get articles from where my ao bff lives sent to my phone without asking it to and some other articles it just decides i absolutely need to see. my phone seems to have a mind of itā€™s own.

i might need a new phone.

FB did this to me the other day, but closer. A college classmate posted family photos a couple weeks back of her, her husband, and their little girl, along with his parents, and I thought man, heā€™s lost a lot of weight. Yesterday, she and her husband show up in my feed as being tagged in condolences of loss, he died of cancer. I feel like a voyeur, because of the postings, since she and her husband hadnā€™t posted anything publicly, so itā€™s just this window into grief that is heartbreaking, but also none of my business, we havenā€™t done more interaction than send likes on photos in years.

thatā€™s less weird. these twitter posts are from complete strangers going direct to my phone. itā€™s like twitter or my phone decided that i need to see horrible things.

You need to delete twitter. It is a completely useless app. Well, not completely useless. But mostly useless. Like Instagram.

1 Like

well since trump is banned from twitter, probably now is. thatā€™s pretty much the only person i followed.

i guess maybe i can follow campbellā€™s ramblings about public pensions or something now.

instagram isnā€™t pushing shit like this to my phone. at the end of my friends posts when it runs out of people iā€™m following, it shows me cute puppies.

I put up cute puppy pix tooooooooo!!!

2 Likes

You can follow my actuarial news feed!

https://twitter.com/NewsActuarial

Of course, usually thereā€™s a bunch of links in the early morning & at night when Iā€™m watching TV with Stu

1 Like

Max Blackā€“a philosopher for the ages. Or, at least, our age.

I deleted FB about four months ago. Wasnā€™t a huge Twitter user and I deleted that last week. So far, this is all going well. Never had Instagram.

I keep FB b/c there are some groups I need to be a part of, like my sonā€™s sports teams and the parentsā€™ page for his class.

That and to see the pics of the hot friends of friends that FB keeps recommending to me.

I donā€™t really use it for anything else.

I kept my account and I occasionally log in. Iā€™m mostly there for the Marketplace, we are looking for lots of things to furnish our new old house.

I have no idea who this Scott person is and why Iā€™d care that heā€™s now dead, but my phone really wanted me to know about it.

I have all those apps set to not be allowed to send me notifications unless they are open. And i only open them when thereā€™s something i want to look at. I donā€™t get any random crap ā€œsent to my phoneā€.

You have an Android phone, right? Go into settings, then ā€œapps and notificationsā€ and you should be able to take care of this problem.

1 Like