Things that map to partisanship

Chain restaurants (and commuting by car)

In the end, we identified one factor that transcended politics and explained the presence of chain restaurants throughout the nation: driving. Specifically, the share of the workforce that drives to work each day.

The places that drive the most tend to have the same high share of chain restaurants regardless of whether they voted for Trump or Biden. As car commuting decreases, chain restaurants decrease at roughly the same rate, no matter which candidate most residents supported.

If the link between cars and chains transcends partisanship, why does it look like Trump counties have more chain restaurants? It’s at least in part because he won more of the places with the most car commuters!

About 83 percent of workers commute by car nationally, but only 80 percent of folks in Biden counties do so, compared with 90 percent of workers in Trump counties. The share of car commuters ranges from 55 percent in the deep-blue New York City metro area to 96 percent around bright red Decatur, Ala.

Also, a nice map that shows you where the urbanized areas are: (and also what the “chainiest” areas are, too, but mainly so you can see what the urban sprawl looks like in the U.S.)

Is Starbucks considered a chain restaurant?

Yes, that’s a fun map of urban areas. It’s interesting that in the Midwest there are “urban” places that seem to be beads on a string. I expect that would make sense if we overlaid a map of railroads in 1900.

Also, the thin urban strings right on the coasts. People really like to live near the water.

The “how do you get to work” map as relatively low auto commuting rates in some very rural areas. That seemed odd until I realized that farmers/ranchers are going to report that they do not drive to work.

Now do education

and % religious

Doesn’t look like it really fits here, but still…

I always like to see the DC-to-Boston blob

them’s my folks

and while this really doesn’t fit w/ my thread theme, I liked this map in the original WaPo piece:

Note that Italian restaurants are most popular in NJ & NY, and these are distinct from pizza places.

Crap, I’m moving to Maine.

1 Like

Why does “Hawaiian” get to be it’s own cuisine, but Cajun don’t? Food for thought.

It’s really hard to find anything that finishes this sentence "Maine and Louisiana are the only states where _____ "

This map shows one.

(and, Asian food is more popular than seafood in Alaska?)

And religious hypocrisy.

And that Hawaiian restaurants are the most common restaurants in Hawaii

That is amazingly idiotic analysis and grouping.

1 Like

In the touristy parts of Hawaii i visited, i would have guessed seafood restaurants outnumbered anything i would call “Hawaiian”.

I’m not entirely sure what Hawaiian food means. Seems to be a mixture of Japanese food, local Luau food, and some fried American influence, and Spam musubi (<3)

1 Like

And poke, which is truly Hawaiian.
And the presentation as plate lunches.

This is a restaurant near me that is delicious

1 Like

Oh, and Kalua Pork
Duh

Spam Katsu is good hangover food.

loco moco is as well

1 Like

Damn, i want some Hawaiian food right now.

There used to be this Hawaiian Fried Chicken place in West Seattle (Whiskey might know the place I’m taking about) that unfortunately didn’t survive COVID. But they were the perfect example of Hawaiian Cuisine. Proper southern fried chicken with sides like rice, soy sauce, kimchi. That’s Hawaiian Cuisine. A fusion of American, Pan Asian and South Pacific foods. With a side of rice and macaroni salad.