The MLS Soccer Thread

No LA teams in the playoffs. Vancouver squeaks in after a horrendous start to the season.

I was curious how Atlanta and Vancouver stacked up in terms of turnaround. On July 31, ATL had 14 points at 2W-8T-6L. Atlanta didn’t win a match from May 16th-Aug 6th. Vancouver had 15 points at the end of July at 3W-6T-7L. Quite a turnaround for both clubs.

Wow, an even more remarkable turnaround for Atlanta!

One excuse for Vancouver’s slow start was that they weren’t permitted to play any games in Vancouver until August 21. Their subsequent home record was 7W-1L-1D.

Vancouverites (including me) are probably more excited by the US/Canada World Cup qualifying match, expected to be played here at the end of January. Canada hasn’t qualified since 1986 but this year’s team should make it.

ATL has to play on that futsal pitch in Yankee stadium. I’m tempted to go, but doubt I will

I fear that the Vancouver and Atlanta games this weekend are going to seem a bit anticlimactic after the two games against Mexico this week…

Not sure whether I want NYCFC or the Revolution to win this game. I have reasons to root against either one now, but I’ve also got reasons to want to see either one advance a game or two and then lose.

Definitely feels like NYCFC is driving play more, which means New England will probably have some half-assed counter that ends in a fluke goal.

I feel similarly conflicted: root for NE Patriots ownership or Yankees ownership, neither of which care much about the product. I am slightly leaning more towards NE but feel dirty about it.

Meh, only 20% is owned by the Yankees. Their jerseys tell the real story.

Only 20% owned, but that locks them into playing in the futsal pitch in NY. It’s so bad that the team won’t let anyone measure the pitch (almost certainly doesn’t meet FIFA standards).

Originally there was a little MLS theater that it was a temporary arrangement, but given ownership that was a wink-wink deal

Gotta admit, I put the game on because it was more background noise. It’s turned out to be a hell of a lot more exciting than we were expecting.

Thiago Almada reportedly coming to ATL. Atlanta somewhat cryptically denied it is a done deal, probably because he’d be DP #4. This has happened before with ATL. Not the best business to let potential buyers of one of your DPs know that you have to get a deal done. Barco would almost certainly be the DP they’d sell. He’s had a good season, but a forced sale makes it tougher to get a decent price.

Seventh straight year for a Cascadia club to be in the MLS Final.

Tough luck for Philly with their COVID outbreak

MLS oligopoly expands.

Best not to let outsiders compete for top soccer spots. Let’s simply BE the lower levels of the sport.

MLS talking about a Rooney Rule and I’m thinking, what did Wayne Rooney in his short time in the MLS do to cause a rule to be created in his name?

For the first time ever, local markets will not be allowed to broadcast local English radio programming for the final.

As long as people are willing to pay to be a D3 team with no hope of ever moving up, why change?

Portland fans may be the best in the MLS

until they throw stuff at players on the field

1 Like