The MLS Soccer Thread

Almada scored for Argentina yesterday.

In case you thought my take on Almada was purely a homer outlook, the Guardian wrote a piece on him:

How many players The ATL got out this International Break / MLS NOT Break?
COL 6-1 ATL ??

1. 5 key ones

I thought POR was green and white, but they show up in their “away”(?) kits at home? Meanwhile LAG show up in their “away” green, so naturally I’m a bit confused when watching as much as I can stand. Good thing the score bug showed which color was whose.

I thought this was the obvious idea:

heck, have him play another 30 (how many teams in The MLS again?) years and play for each team once.
That should be better than, say, playing in the Saudi league until some desperate Euro team signs him. I mean, he’s not washed up yet, scoring only on tiny countries in Europe and all.
But by all means, make The MLS an exhibition league, where people pay to watch one player and not pay to watch the rest and who don’t even care who wins the league.
Like, say, The NASL in the 70’s.

I imagine the New York Cosmos wished the other teams had chipped in when they made Pele the highest paid team player in the world in 1975.

Interesting comment further down in the article was that Bayern wants Harry Kane.

This play where a player crashes into a GK’s plant leg didn’t draw a yellow. The coach publicly criticized PRO post game for the no call, which I imagined drew a fine. Turns out it tore Guzan’s MCL. He played the rest of the match on one leg
https://twitter.com/MikeConti929/status/1645778405407838209?s=20

ATL has 2 game winning goals in the 99th minute this season. In the prior 14 years, there were only 2 game winning goals in minute 99 or later in MLS.

Bump, because it’s been a month:

You know what would make this even more interesting?

A summer break with a side tournament against Liga MX clubs?

That’s it!!
Add to it International Breaks for Nations Cup and Gold Cup, and when does the league play this season? Oh yeah, they play through them. Good thing that most of the USMNT don’t play in The MLS and Liga MX.

In other news, which I had to search hard for on ESPN, LAFC down one to Leon in the first leg.

Ahhh. Mexican teams are just to strong. No MLS team will ever win CCL

(Checks History books…)

LAFC coming home to their raucous house. Might be a little different. Also, Guanajuato, where Club Leon play, is at 6700’ elevation.
Don’t ask me why I know that. (Well, wiki confirmed it, but I knew it was pretty high up.)
Club Leon is a 10th/6th place team in Liga Mx. If the generally considered top club (some say “ever”) in The MLS can’t beat them, well, that is why The MLS (#16) is below Liga Mx (#9) in the global rankings.
On 538, LAFC is slightly ahead of Club Leon, 56.2 vs 52.2, whatever that means.

Of course, it’s the coach’s fault:

All for naught.

In other news, CCL will become CCC, C for “Cup.”

MLS getting their new retiree who will run the league over for several years, cuz still great?

One issue: can’t win Europe trophies in MLS. Only a boring MLS Cup after wading through grenades (playoffs) and then maybe the CONCACAF Champions Cup.

Messi: “Yes, I would like to own two teams, please.”

Looks to be official now.

Sunday 9/3 at LAFC.
Am I seeing this right, that LAG do not play Miami at all this season?

Good news is that he rejected the Blood Money. Well, until the Saudis buy the whole MLS after starting their own US soccer league.

Its official. Messi headed for Miami.

$55M/year

Which is obviously way less than SA ($400M/year), but I suspect his wife (Argentinean) was likely pretty adamant about their family not going to SA (as its dreadful for families).

Miami is quite popular with Brazilians and Argentineans, and they speak Spanish. Plus, Messi likely wants to get a foothold in the MLS (to own a club) long-term.

Its not a bad move. I just don’t see the sport growing all that much in the US due to cultural factors. More US vs Europe footy looks likely though. This could be a revenue maker for the various clubs.

I would pay a premium for a Vancouver Whitecaps vs Inter Miami ticket if Messi was playing that night. I expect a lot of folks in Canada and the US would pay extra.

VAN play on artificial turf, right?
He might skip those matches, as a number of other retirees have done.