The MLS Soccer Thread

Thought you might know off the top of your head.

Took your advice and found this link helpful.

Unfortunately that wiki hasn’t been fully updated for the upcoming season. For ATL, Franco, Hyndman, Dwyer, and Martinez are not on the roster for the upcoming season. Strangely they do include Etienne and he just joined the team, so at best it includes only partial updates.

Probably the best MLS teams have the largest contingent of the better players from the CONCACAF countries so MLS keeping playing during Gold Cup competition may mean the best MLS teams are most negatively affected. The simultaneous competition might be an opportunity for the weaker MLS clubs to beat the better ones.

It’s kinda a thing in MLS. Looking for good players, but not quite good enough to regularly be called into their national team.

And (younger) players looking for more exposure to get picked up by Euro clubs, where the big money is.

I have no issue at all with MLS being a selling league. Better than being a retirement league.

2 Likes

This. I like that more MLS clubs are viewing themselves as selling clubs.

Even in Europe, almost every club is a selling club or should be. Only a handful of clubs are true final destinations.

1 Like

Someone pumping up The MLS for, I don’t know, a cash compensation?

Grasping at all straws – look, one player on the winning team (I should check, but I think there was one player in the semi-finals as well, possibly in the quarterfinals)!! Look, our players are getting scouted! Look, players come here to retire and hate the artificial surface!

Ignoring this:
Here is an actual soccer league ranking system, based on 538.

So, yeah, 15th best, still behind Liga MX.

Oh, sure, looking at actual results of teams… that’s not a fair way to look!!

“El Trafico”, scheduled at the Rose Bowl postponed until July 4, due to weather. Yes, it’s that bad!

I don’t know that ATL is back. Seems like they have a few holes that need patching. However, today was an insane finish and home win that gives me some optimism.

It’s not CCL unless you have a dog on the field during the match

Leagues Cup getting more finalized:

Tiebreakers in Group have yet to be determined.

The group stage, which will feature two matches per club, will kick off on July 21 and finish on July 31. Three points will be awarded for wins in the group stage, and in the case of a tie, a point will be given to each team that will then fight for an additional point in a penalty shootout. Tiebreakers in the group standings have yet to be finalized.

Also, is The MLS even playing this summer? Got Gold Cup, got Nations League semi’s and Finals in June? I mean, sure, they’ll play through the International breaks as usual. Might as well go the right season, hold a short season January to May next year, start 2024-25 in August.

After Haitian club Violette surprisingly destroyed Austin in CCL, there’s apparently a risk they forfeit the second leg in Austin. Apparently only 12 team members have been authorized entry to the US so far. That would stink. Hope this situation is remedied

https://twitter.com/ABenlaziz/status/1633534491246440450

You’d think that the USSF or MLS or CONCACAF would have top people on it to secure international travel for sports people.

Haiti always seems to get the short end of the stick, not just talking soccer here.

Well, if they forfeit, Austin would be awarded a 3-0 victory, right? So they’d be tied. Huh.

But, as long as they’re able to field more then 7 players, they’d be allowed to play, right? Any outfield player could play in goal as a last resort, if necessary?

Looks like 14 players made it for Violette, so at least they can make a couple of subs

Violette is through. They parked the bus given the situation, and I can’t blame them being extremely short handed. They should get destroyed in the next round though.

Almada is in amazing form. 4 goals, 4 assists through 4 matches. Atlanta dumping Moreno has left Almada huge space to roam and he’s taking full advantage. Barring injury ATL will get big offers for him during the summer transfer window. Can we please just have one nice run to finish this season first?

https://twitter.com/jcalebcook1/status/1637253039340896257?t=1Cszg3euIHhk76CLa3QSRA&s=19

1 Like