The Kids Thread

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Also hfbb for alt-speculation.

Missing all my Miss Scarlett online buddies from the AO.

whistles

With the lead paint and asbestos!

We grabbed “No thank you evil!”, which uses a simplified character creation and rolling system and tried a short adventure. My wife was a Superhero and my kid was a Witch.

It was ohhhkay. She was way less invested than she is in pretending Cinderella for the billionth time, and got bored of the narration even though she likes novels. She was shy of roleplaying and puzzle solving, which was nice in a way, since it at least suggested a challenge.

One oddity is that, as you can see from the box, the game is loaded with “kid-culture”. Like snot jokes and buggle-gum and pizza and school-busses. Or for example a character will have “hustle” instead of dodge. It’s lots of little things, but it all adds up to make the game less familiar to a kid who hasn’t gone to school or watched lots of little-kid-tv.

Probably the best part was when she had to go potty and took her character card (which has a picture, 4 stats on it, and one ability) and we could hear her talking over and over again about how some stat was higher than the others-- which made my wife and I crack up since that’s like dead-on geek behavior. Anyway, we had enough fun that it’s probably worth a second shot.

Otoh, I just found our Players Handbook, so we might try that.

This is giving me flashbacks to Cranium. We played it once or twice a few years ago, but at least 1 kid would always end up crying because we laughed too hard at their acting or something. They also get mean if they’re losing.

These two have rice paper thin skin. I love them, but sometimes I want to push them into a pool.

I play a somewhat D&D type game with my kids on a giant whiteboard. I pick a theme (pirates, castles, or something) and draw a map. Then they roll a 20 sided dice to determine how far they can move. I make up stupid characters that they can interact with and goofy adventures. The game usually lasts about 1-2 hours before we all get tired. As they have gotten older the games have gotten much more complicated. They started with each kid gets 1 guy and x money. Now its like each kid has like 4 armies, each with its own arms level, cash level, movement bonus, etc.

Its been a good weekend snow day game this long winter.

1 Like

so many games end in this at my house… kids are just so sensitive to rules and competition.

Kids.

Can live with 'em, can’t leave 'em out with the recycling.

Wait… you can’t!?

I’ve been told then you have to start over with a new kid.

With 400 chances you are bound to get one right.

2 Likes

RN

1 Like

Birth control is not being given up for Lent.

3 Likes

:bump:

I put her back in Pre-K recently, and now I’m soooooo0000ooo stressed by how mind-numbingly boring her class is for her.

It was easy to look at these pandemic days, and think about all the time we spent ignoring her.

But it’s obvious now that she got so more from being alone and ignored than from being in a class that’s too crowded and several years behind her. She can’t read, can’t draw, can’t learn anything, and can’t really talk to anybody. Yeesh.

I really don’t want to home school her. I just feel like I should. Or rather that someone should.

I guess I could yank her out of pre-k and hire a sitter, to watch over her, and mostly ignore her. But that seems pretty dumb. And a temporary fix to a lifelong problem.

1 Like

What exactly is this pre-k doing if she can’t do any of those things?

They sing inane songs, run around, and occasionally the teacher reads them a picture book or teaches her something she already knows. Really, her being ‘advanced’ is most of the problem.

Speaking as a parent of a child who intellectually picks up everything like a sponge, the ability to be around other kids, pick up social cues, listen, participate, and accept feedback are all things I wish we had invested in more prior to kindergarten. He is bored out of his gourd with a lot of things, but he lags emotionally. So don’t discount the value of that part of preschool.

1 Like

Good point. She is social, but not with many people.