The covid cooties club

define super mild. i don’t consider my case to have been super mild, but in the realm of what is defined as super mild for covid it probably is. it sucked though.

this is assuming i’ll continue to get better and there are no fun surprises coming here.

Pretty sure that was the guidance back in January 2021 when I had Covid. Now they’ve added “and tested negative” to the guidance though. I’m not sure when that changed.

Nope, they always want you to isolate for 5 days. The day you test positive is day 0, and on day 6 you can go back out with a mask if your symptoms are resolving and you test negative.

Which day did you test positive?

No, I wouldn’t say your case was super mild. I suspect it was milder / shorter duration than it would have been without the booster though.

i see nothing about testing negative in the tool on the CDC website.

i tested positive on 12/26.

what i find stupid about this is why don’t they have similar guidelines for the flu or RSV? why just covid? at this point is COVID more deadly than either of those?

debatable

My bad… I didn’t check my source. That guidance was from the local authority in Los Angeles County, which I presume is not applicable to you. Yeah, it looks like CDC guidance is just 5 days if your symptoms are resolving irrespective of whether you test positive or negative.

I was talking about my case.

1 Like

yeah, i think that 12/26 might count as day zero though and they suggest waiting until 1/1.

But 1/5 im free to do what i want.

So it’s either day 6 and day 10 or day 5 and day 9 depending on how you count

Hmm I thought it really wasn’t a big deal that far out. When I got COVID I never tested to see when I went back to negative. I just spent some time isolated and then assumed I was no longer contagious. I also didn’t want to waste the tests.

We have plenty of tests so wasting wasn’t a concern. I was the only positive in my household and wanted to keep it at that. Sleeping in another room and masking whenever I came out of that room was inconvenient but the cost of a couple extra days of that was strongly preferred over the risk of another family member getting it. YMMV

If your symptoms are improving and you’ve been fever free for 24 hours without fever reducing medication, you can end isolation, according to CDC. But I’ve heard others say it should be closer to 7-10 days.

now that i know you can get 8 free tests a month with insurance, getting tests is fairly easy.

i might have mall plans on 1/1. i really wanna go to the mall. based on the guidelines i’m allowed to go to the mall on 1/1.

gonna walk around outside now without a mask. i assume that’s not frowned upon at any stage.

You were most contagious early in the illness. I think there is an xkcd cartoon about how you’re most contagious early on before symptoms ramp up, but less contagious when symptoms are the worse.

1 Like

Just wear a mask and be your usual shy, awkward self and not get too close to strangers.

Here’s the cartoon. It’s not about COVID and the part about being contagious is just in the hover text. I could have sworn it was about COVID tho.

1 Like

Husband tested positive. Other child tested negative and has no symptoms so far.

Two reasons. Yes, at this point covid is still more deadly than flu or RSV (except for infants, for whom RSV is more deadly) and there’s a cheap at-home test for whether you still carry covid virus, and there isn’t for the others.

i’m confused again how long i have to isolate. everything on the CDC page says 5 days, but then when i use their online tool the date it gives is 6 days. so which is it?

i’m thinking it’s really 5 days, but they are rounding up with the tool, so i can leave the house tomorrow.