Thanksgiving 2021 Discussion Thread

While the professor is being clever, it’s going right over the head of those who need it in their heads the most.

I linked a serious discussion, too.

Stuart McDonald did it straight:

Prof Morris also did some serious tweets:

Look, it’s mainly stats folks and actuaries reading these guys.

It’s not like they tweet cute cat pics or anything.

I saw that. Then again, I don’t think Prof-Jeff’s twitter account is being read by anyone unfamiliar with the issue. Or satire.

So, checking the cooking time for a 20lb bird: 4 to 4.5 hours, a bit longer than we usually do, for smaller (16lb) birds. I’ll need to notify the chef.

We may play some this weekend.
More likely to play some more current boardgames.

1 Like

Big fan of CodeNames.

1 Like

If you play this and it all of a sudden is cold and drafty, you might be juuuuuust bit outside.

2 Likes

My brother and I make a freakishly good Codenames team.

Sounds like a challenge. But I have no equal in my family.

Trick is not to make an awesome clue that only you can solve. It has to be an awesome clue that someone on your team can solve.

Before pictures :joy:

2 Likes

First thing imma do is move the flowers. I hate talking to people while trying to see them through the foliage lol.

1 Like

I’ll move them before we eat.

The tablecloth was my grandma’s. Thanksgiving dinner has been served on it for around 75 years give or take.

3 Likes

Hopefully, no one tops our Thanksgiving so far:

Last night, police were at the neighbor’s behind us. Keep in mind, where I’m at is very tame, the loudest things you hear are the fire trucks when they pass on the street behind us, or the wind when it’s really up, or someone on the main highway deciding to cut loose late at night. The biggest crimes here are the neighbor’s leaves ending up in your yard. Meaning, the police showing up anywhere around here is a big deal.

Well, … apparently someone there shot themselves. We’re pretty sure they succeeded. The police seemed to spend a lot of time in the kitchen area looking at the counters and in the sink, while the shooting purportedly happed up in the front of the house. Mrs. Hoffman also thinks someone got handcuffed at some point, so we’re waiting to see what comes out in the news.

Wow!!

Nice to have that. Hopefully one of the kids will take it over.
I think you have exactly the same placemats as we do.

1 Like

Close

1 Like

guys, it’s the first time i’m wearing jeans since march, 2020. I FEEL SO FANCY!

4 Likes

Yikes!

A decade or so ago we had something similar, in a similarly boring neighborhood. Only it wasn’t Thanksgiving, it was Halloween. And the story was really complicated, but ultimately they determined the husband murdered the wife. And the kids sided with their dad because she was that unpleasant. (Maybe they didn’t believe he killed her, or maybe they just didn’t want to believe it.)

We cleared the dining room table and used it as a table for the first time since the pandemic. It’s been covered with pandemic stuff. First home made masks that friends brought over. Then some Kickstarter masks and accessories. Then a lot of jigsaw puzzles. And mail. And other random crap.

We only had five. Schroeder and me, our kids, and the DIL. But it felt nice to eat in the dining room and have a vaguely formal meal.

And we had the whole clan at my mom’s before that. (with masks and no food.)

I hope we didn’t overwhelm my mom.

2 Likes