Thanksgiving 2021 Discussion Thread

Let me understand, you got the hen, the chicken and the rooster. The rooster goes with the chicken. So, who’s having sex with the hen?

3 Likes

The turkey is brining, but thanks to covid we now have no plans except dinner with just us.

More time to sleep and quilt.

We are actually having a pretty normal Thanksgiving this year
Heading to Madison to spend the long weekend hoping between my wife’s parents.
Pretty much what we had done every year from 2008 to 2019 (except for the rare occasions when they came up to our place).

This year we are 3 and not 4. Tommie Jr is heading to Montana w his gf to have turkey w her family.

Will still make big meal and attack it.

1 Like

We’ll have a group of 7-8 people this year, which is typical for us. Everyone who is eligible for vaccination is vaccinated, although one of my kids only has 1 shot at this point. My brother is hosting, which is a change, so I will be enjoying a nice relaxed Thanksgiving Eve and only baking the pumpkin pies. We’ll drive over early and I’ll help with prep tomorrow though.

2 Likes

When i cook a stuffed bird, i always put a meat thermometer in the center of the stuffing. And it always gets hot enough. I watch that thermometer carefully.

I do rely on “resting” so the temp holds for a long time. I find those “how long at what temp to pasteurize” charts really useful. But i don’t cut it at all close. I make sure the stuffing is well cooked.

I pre-warm the bird before i cook it, so i don’t have to leave it in the oven forever to cook the stuffing through.

We are doing a “hybrid” Thanksgiving. My mother and my brother’s partner are both immune compromised. So a big dinner seemed unwise. Instead, we are gathering at my mom’s, with masks, and then splitting into smaller groups to unmask and eat. My brother and his partner will eat alone, in their hotel room. My mom will eat with my sister and BIL. We’ll host my kids and DIL. The rest will be in other homes.

1 Like

Going to my brother’s house and my folks are coming too. So seven of us if I counted right. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, etc. Pretty traditional Midwest Thanksgiving. I’m hoping to play some card or board games.

SO claims his gets hot enough too. But I don’t trust it. Pass the leftover dressing that didn’t get stuffed.

1 Like

Sheepshead or Euchre?

2 Likes

Sheepshead if I had a choice. However, that probably won’t be the case. I’m not sure my brother plays and my spouse won’t play anymore. We’ll probably end up playing sevens or something like that if it’s cards. Otherwise Ticket to Ride or Transamerica.

1 Like

We need a 4th for Bridge, and no one wants to learn.

1 Like

My brother claimed that it doesn’t get up to temperature specifically right up in behind the breast bone.
What do I know. I much prefer stuffing in the bird, but that’s the reason why I can’t have it.

This makes sense. My wife mentioned last night the issue was the bones in a traditional turkey vs the boneless turducken. I don’t know, I’m just the hired help.

This is why resting is so important. I once had a bird that was too hot on some places, too cool in others, and i forget why, but i had to remove it from the oven. I figured i would just serve from the parts that were cooked, and recook the rest later. But by the time supper rolled around, i poked it with my thermopen, and the whole damn thing was an even 165F.

Ditto.

1 Like

2 Likes

My Thanksgiving post:

Mainly, I’m gonna be watching Macy’s parade, sumo, and MST3K!

I don’t cook, so I have no comment on food.

Just picked up the charcuterie board, which looks fantastic. My wife has already cooked the side dishes so they’ll just need warmed up. Now I’m on deck to do a standing rib roast tomorrow morning, and crab legs. We’re pretty non-traditional with Thanksgiving. Might make some Dole Whip, who knows???

1 Like

OK, turkey out of the brine, rinsed thoroughly, dried thoroughly, back in the refrigerator to dry some more, possibly causing cross-contamination.