Texas needs help

Isn’t ERCOT a private run entity that is quasi-government in that the Governor has complete control over appointing the board?

ooooh, so he was just being a good dad while people in his state are freezing to death. great excuse :roll_eyes:

I had a somewhat different thought. Doesn’t anyone else find it creepy that “daddy” wants to be included in the teen girls’ sleepover? A bit old to be going to pajama parties, imo

And again another contrast with Canada. A bunch of politicians holidayed down south over the Christmas holidays, and most of them lost their jobs or were fired from any committees they were on. If we weren’t social distancing we’d have organized a mob with pitchforks over this.
The prime minister actually had the airlines cancel any flights from Canada to the sunny vacation spots. So you can’t even fly directly to these places from Canada anymore.
Any out of country travel is pretty heavily frowned upon; discouraged by the gov’t and really hated upon by consumers.

3 Likes

Sucks he’s around for at least another 6 years.

Damn Dan Rather

1 Like

He’s up for reelection in 2024.

Holy crap, how did I forget Cruz v Beto?

It was Cornyn who was just re-elected.

for these politicians it’s a game of who can out hypocrite each other. The bigger the hypocrisy you can get away with, the bigger the badge of “honor”

So this can be calculated right? That article in the paper said 3 times in 40 years and had lengths of the power outages. They just need to decide on the investment that makes sense in light of how much they are losing with these winter stoppages. That shouldn’t be tough to make an informed decision.

Just lie so much no one can remember how many lies you really told and they get tired of fact checking.

Or blame liberals and wind energy and make no changes in the name of short term profits. I’m thinking this model is likely to win out again.

The trouble is while it’s been 3 times in 40 years, if the non existent cilmate change really is changing weather patterns to have more extremes it might soon be 3 times in 20 years or 5 times in 10 years…

1 Like

I’m behind, so apologies if this has been brought up, but I suspect in the South a lot of people have heat pumps rather than separate A/C and heat systems. With no gas furnace, there is less reason to have a gas line to the home at all, which means an electric hot water heater and range too.

So while natural gas in southern homes is certainly a thing, I suspect that a lower percentage of homes have NG compared to, say Minnesota.

Brilliant! Give people the help when they are in the middle of a crisis (of their own making) and then charge them afterwards. Excellent idea.

1 Like

can we leave ted cruz’s electricity off and make him stay in his house?

Can we make him stay in Mexico?

2 Likes

Side story on all this is what happens to prices when a deregulated market hits a crisis and price spikes. Apparently some electricity wholesalers are passing on prices about 150x normal. $1,000 a day electric bills. I’d turn everything off and go to Cancun too. It’d be cheaper.

Based purely on judgement, there are probably more people on electric only here. However most of the South can’t rely solely on a heat pump due to their effective temperature range. When it gets too cold they don’t work. One thing that was popular here for some time is the dual fuel heat pump: the heat pump is in operation most of the time, but when it gets cold enough a gas furnace kicks in. On paper that’s a very energy efficient system on average, but it also creates a much higher peak demand on natural gas resources. I believe there’s some additional fee now because of that and they may have fallen out of favor as a result.

I think natural gas is pretty common in urban and suburban areas of the South, but the warmer the area the less likely they bothered to install gas because the energy efficiency difference didn’t make it worthwhile. In rural areas using LP gas delivered in tanks to your house is relatively popular in the South. Heating oil is virtually non-existent in the South.

Agree with this. In my suburban/urban area of AL, a few new neighborhoods are electric only, but natgas is viewed as a plus for water heater efficiency and a cooking option. No tiered/peaking charges from our natgas provider. My mom’s HVAC replacement is the most recent I have had association with, and we went natgas “piggyback” (vs electric strips) for comfort reasons.

So it turns out I had a conversation with a registered nurse today ( I’m in the hospital atm). The tV had some news regarding the situation in Texas. I made some comment about how self inflicted it all was.

She didn’t really know much about it, but said her husband had explained it to her. He explained it’s a result of the Green New Deal, and how the wind is not a reliable source f power.

I just shrugged. Apparently the lies do work on some of the people.

1 Like