Ted Hoffman's hip surgeries (#1 1/14, #2 7/22) and recoveries

Sadly, no. Even if I had wanted to when I was younger, being born in an area that did not have ice hockey within 60 miles snuffed that idea out.

6 days out. It was going to be yesterday, which would have been a fine way to celebrate my 3rd anniversary at Company Z, but the surgeon was going to be out of town so it got kicked a week. I’m about as ready as I can be, I kind of want to just get this done so I can get through the worst of it and get to recovery.

2 Likes

Good luck soldier, keep us posted on your recovery

Do you get to take short term disability while you recover?

My boss at my first job job got a hip replacement, he blocked a month off on his calendar for recovery. It was a bit over optimistic as did not return to work for nearly 3 months. What an amazing 3 months. I studied my ass off in his absence

I’m surprised they’re doing the surgery on a Friday. In my experience surgeons don’t like to do that just in case there were to be a complication where they’d have to go back in. The surgeon doesn’t want to get called in for a work emergency over the weekend. Any I’ve dealt with only schedule consultations on Friday as those are easily rescheduled should they need to deal with an emergency from a patient from earlier in the week.

Maybe (hopefully) that means it’s a simpler surgery with low risk of complications. I’ve always wondered if ORs just sit empty on Fridays other than the occasional emergency. TIL.

Regardless, good luck with everything and do keep us posted.

1 Like

I do! I have to take 3 PTO, and then it kicks in. My plan is to do 3 weeks this time around. I did 2 last time - glad I did, I originally thought I’d do a week and got talked into the 2nd and I would NOT have been useful in the 2nd week - and even the first week back was shit, I fucking hurt and I’m uncomfortable, I’ll put in time but I’m not being real productive [which was OK, that fell into one of my two slow periods during the year] so I think a 3rd would probably be a good idea.

Plus, I can get it without any questions and if I have the bad experience this time like your boss had, I can get it extended.

It’s a scope with 3 incisions, so low risk of infection after and such. [I hear you can YT these kinds of things. Mrs. Hoffman did and talked a little about it and then asked *do you want to know more? It’s **so** cool* and I’m *nah, I lived it, I really don’t want to be nauseous and gagging over it.*] And this doctor seems pretty competent, they book 2 hours for it and last time they’d have been done in an hour except they spent 40 minutes trying to find and catch a piece of bone they had to shave off that got loose and then went floating around.

The bigger thing last time was coming out from being under. I’m really slow for that, so maybe they won’t drug me up like I’m an elephant this time around. Maybe more like a Thomson’s Gazelle.

Well you don’t want them to go too light either. One of my BFFs said she was in a fair amount of pain during her c-section because the drugs weren’t strong enough. She didn’t say anything because she wanted it to be over with as she’d already been in labor for over 40 hours.

I am a wimp… I’d have been like “no, stop, give me more drugs… STAT!!!”

Mrs. Hoffman delivered child #2 before the epidural kicked in. They called the doctor in to do it, she’s on her side screaming she needs to push as he’s administering it, he finally gets done, everyone puts her on her back and she pushes twice and she’s done.

Mrs. Hoffman got the epidural for the twins. It wore off before she delivered, and then she felt the doctor stitch her up.

I don’t think I’m getting sympathy from her if they don’t drug me up enough. Maybe just a little less so they’re not trying for almost 2 hours to wake me up, though.

1 Like

Depends on the doctor’s group’s work structure; but if there are patients in the hospital over the weekend, someone is going to need to be on call anyway.

In fact, someone is on call anyway at some point after the procedure regardless of which time/day the surgery takes place (e.g., someone is going to be available from 2am through 8am).

1 Like

Sure, someone is on call, but sometimes they will want to call in the original surgeon. I’ve had multiple surgeon’s offices explain to me that they don’t schedule surgeries on Fridays for this reason. :woman_shrugging:

Great, now I’m feeling nervous about this Friday surgery.

Oh sure, the prior one was on a Friday too, but that was before you all started talking about why doctors don’t schedule surgeries on a Friday. Now it’s different. I’m asking the surgeon why he schedules on a Friday and that twig said other surgeons don’t schedule surgeries on a Friday, and questioning whether he really cares about me. And then I’ll be drugged and knocked out and won’t remember the answer, and it won’t matter.

1 Like

If something goes wrong with this surgery on Friday, I’m airing my Festivus grievances early and it won’t stop until every one of you has been pinned.

2 Likes

Are you confusing airing of grievances with feats of strength? Shame!

Maybe he takes his weekends Tue and Wed?

Better check GoSurgeon.com for a DNGAF Fridays thread just to be safe!!!

1 Like

Oh no, I didn’t mean to make you nervous; I’m sorry!

I’m sure they wouldn’t do it if they didn’t feel comfortable. Maybe some surgeons are more militant about not getting called in on a Saturday than others.

I thought you were getting a full hip replacement. Ignore what I said about my old boss being out for 3 months lol.

For probably 8-12 weeks, I’m not doing feats of strength. I’ll barely be doing feats of anything except “feats of stretching” and then “feats of wiping my own ass” and later on “feats of walking without crutches.” I expect the rest of you to step up and fill in like the alleged actuarial friends you … all …

GDI, that’s going in the airing of grievances too.

No, just a scope. Same thing I had 6 months ago, just the other hip. But I’m remembering what you said it so I can possibly use it for future reference, even if I don’t really need it.

:slight_smile: 6:15 am arrival tomorrow morning.

7:45am surgery. I guess the good news is, we’ll beat the weekend traffic? Today is going to feel really rushed, trying to make sure I’ve got things at work buttoned up and things around home set up and ready.

I did check with my future physical therapist, she said once I’m vaguely ready I can do any of the 3 stretches I’m allowed to do early on, but one should be very limited. [Hang a leg over the side, let it stretch. That should be more "hang it over, put your foot on a stool.]

Gonna be a blast. Again. Totally worth it. Again.

2 Likes

Good luck tomorrow.

1 Like

That’s 10 seconds right there.

1 Like