Supreme court overturns Roe v. Wade

15 isn’t that arbitrary

• Twelve states restrict abortion after conception
  • One state restricts abortion at six weeks post-fertilization
  • Two state restrict abortion at 12 weeks post-fertilization
  • Two state restricts abortion at 15 weeks post-fertilization
  • One state restricts abortion at 18 weeks since the last menstrual period
  • Six states restrict abortion at 20 weeks post-fertilization or 22 weeks after the last menstrual period
  • Four states restrict abortion at 24 weeks since the last menstrual period
  • Thirteen states restrict abortion at fetal viability
  • One state restricts abortion in the third trimester

Every one of those feels arbitrary.

Unless maybe we’ve determined that consciousness begins at 24 weeks, I mean 22, or 20, 18, 15, 12, 6, conception.

I think the standard should be “a decision between a pregnant person and their doctor”.

3 Likes

I’m guessing polling gives it its significance. I think that’s the only way he cares abortion rights.

2 Likes

I thought he was quoted as 12 was too short, so I guess he just went to the next number states are using

I think you are giving too much credit to the guy who suggested ingesting bleach to another medical issue.

5 Likes

I assume someone gave him that number, I wouldn’t assume he knows 15 is greater than 12

5 Likes

Roe = fish eggs
Wade = the best way to collect fish eggs
Amirite?!

1 Like

From today’s oral arguments in the mifepristone case at SCOTUS:

Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson (bringing it home):
Do you think judges have better medical judgment than physicians and medical professionals?

Answer: No, and that is what is so concerning here.

2 Likes

Speculation based on oral arguments seems to be that even Thomas will say that the plaintiffs lack standing, which would lead to an 8-1 ruling. Alito the hold out.

E.g.,

My thread covering the abortion drug argument that my fabulous law partner Jess Ellsworth is arguing is below. The argument is close to over and right now it appears there is a wide consensus on the Court that the challenge to the drug will fail. Only Justice Alito appeared to accept the challengers’ theory.

Holy shit, the Deep State must have finally gotten to Thomas.

1 Like

I’m sure that he’s just throwing a temper-tantrum that conservatives didn’t match John Oliver’s offer.

Since we’re a theocracy now, I have a proposal.

In Exodus, if a man strikes a woman and the woman dies, the penalty is “a life for a life”.

In the same passage, if a man strikes a woman and causes her to miscarry, the penalty is a monetary fine.

Carrying the logic of the woman dying forward, it makes sense that willfully causing the death of another should carry the penalty of death.

Per Alabama’s precedent of using the Bible as law, I propose that any doctor who refuses to perform an abortion resulting in the woman dying shall be put to death.

It’s just Gorb’s will. I didn’t decide it.

https://apnews.com/article/abortion-murder-charges-texas-prosecutor-fined-c7203d75f922663f38321b8a8d27bdde

https://apnews.com/article/texas-abortion-murder-charge-lawsuit-starr-3a7c11d94e38fda0f1cfd3f4a4480f7b

Texas prosecutor publicly named and charged a woman with murder for a self-administered abortion, fully knowing the charge was illegal. After spending 2 days in jail with her name in the news as a murder suspect, the prosecutor was fined $1,250 and allowed to continue working as a prosecutor. She is now suing for $1M in damages.

The charges were brought up after the hospital allegedly violated HIPAA rights by reporting the suspected abortion to the police. Reminder that Texas is not a friendly place for healthcare, and it is not necessarily safe to disclose details such as regarding your menstrual cycle. It’s DEFINITELY not safe to disclose if you had any kind of miscarriage. Though it’s medically relevant, it’s just not safe to disclose.

3 Likes

My guess is that all his mistresses who have had abortions did so by week 15.

5 Likes

I would expect that his handler/fixer carries around a supply of Plan B if they anticipate a potential need.

1 Like

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/florida-ban-on-abortions-past-six-weeks-of-pregnancy-to-begin-in-may/ar-BB1kXa37?cvid=b558cde1c6184d69821984e5317878d3&ei=15

Florida bans abortion at 6 weeks starting May 1.

Florida also put abortion access ballot measure to put into state constitution on the November ballot.

Does this have any hope of putting Florida in play for Biden? and what does it do for Rick Scott’s reelection bid.

Florida has gone pretty solidly red but they did vote for Obama both times and abortion access initiative in recent cycles have seen Democrats over perform lately.

Even the most red states have voted against this resoundingly whenever it’s on the ballot. It absolutely puts Florida in play for democrats.

Yeah didn’t Kansas (one of the redder states in the country) approve abortion access at a margin of something like 59% - 40%???

This presumes the Democratic Party in Florida has any ability to use this to its advantage, which is asking a hell of a lot.

Yes, in 2022. And that the correct vote. You can see why Ohio tried to sneak in a 60% majority ahead of its vote which also enshrined abortion rights in the constitution.