Supreme court overturns Roe v. Wade

I was not wrong because I never once said that there are no poor SCOTUS justices, and I never believed that. In fact, I said almost the exact polar opposite because I pointed out that Sotomayor came from a modest background in this thread.

I had not mentioned in this thread, but was certainly well aware as much was made of it when he was confirmed, that Thomas had a scholarship for minorities to attend college. (It’s been a while, but my recollection was that he opposed the existence of such scholarships, despite having taken advantage of one himself.)

I finally got around to reading this article and I am really confused. Can someone read this and create a timeline of ages and events for me? Is there just a lot of typos in here or should this article get cross-posted in the Innumeracy thread?

I recall thinking the article was poorly written too.

As far as I can tell, and ages may be slightly off due to rounding / not knowing when in the year birthdays fall:

2008: 18 year old male kidnaps & forcibly rapes 12 year old female; female is pregnant from encounter

2009: rape victim gives birth, rapist pleads guilty and is sentenced to 2 years. Serves 6.5 months and is released.

2010: rapist rapes another child

2011ish: rapist sentenced to 5-15 years for second rape

2015ish: rapist released after serving 4 years of a 5-15 year sentence

2017: first rape victim applies for public assistance, somehow bringing herself to the attention of an idiot judge. Idiot judge discloses her whereabouts to her rapist, ordered the rapist’s name be added to kid’s birth certificate, and orders rape victim to live within 100 miles of rapist. From what I can tell this did not require the rape victim to move, but it restricts her future ability to move.

2017: victim speaks out and CBS News picks up the story

2019: Mother Jones writes about it, mostly talking about what happened “a year ago when X was Y years old” but the dates/ages seem to be from the 2017 CBS News article.

2021: Yahoo writes about it, failing to update the 2017 ages to present, presenting a very disjointed narrative.

2022: Yahoo article posted on GoActuary

3 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

What the hell is your problem with me?

Nothing. Just noting a distinct posting style. I didnt even read it thoroughly, just the length and mannerism.
You are one of our more awesome posters.

Oh, sorry, it seemed like a dig. I might be on edge from earlier occurrences in this thread, partially subsequently deleted. Appreciate the kudos.

Do note that you might also get ribbed occasionally.

It was an extremely thorough post, exactly what a321 was looking for.

Minor update you wouldn’t have known: Yahoo bumps last year’s article near the top of their feed due to the overturn of Roe.

1 Like

New Navigator national survey.

1 Like

The variation in the Republicans response to the two questions really stands out. Inconsistent?

2 Likes

I could see many Republicans calling themselves pro-life, but still not wanting government control of the issue.

2 Likes

yeah, there are a lot of people who describe themselves as personally pro-life, but not in favor of laws restricting access to (some subset, maybe any) abortions.

Yup. I think there are a lot more reasonable pro-lifers than one may surmise.

The inconsistency for me is that Republicans overwhelmingly wanted the abortion decision to to be left to the woman and her doctor yet they vote for Republican politicians in their states who are passing legislation to restrict that right.

they probably like republican politicians despite the fact that they are passing legislation to restrict that right, not because of it. they are likely mostly indifferent to abortion rights and assume it won’t affect them.

i think my trumpkin relatives fall in that bucket. they don’t really care about abortion, but i’m guessing if pressed are pro-choice.

1 Like

Maybe I haven’t had enough coffee but how do you interpret the responses to the last question?

73% know someone who has had an abortion and 25% don’t and 2% aren’t sure? Reverse the 73/25? (73% seems like a lot to me, but maybe not?)

What does the 87/4/9% in the lower right mean?

If you think that’s inconsistent, wait until you see this question asked by the same polling company

ETA: here’s the whole thing if anyone cares to see the rest of the questions: Two-Thirds Support Codifying Abortion Rights as Court Favorability Continues Decline | Navigator

^This^

To a pro-choice Republican (as I formerly considered myself) abortion is probably less important than things like economic and foreign policy, gun rights, national defense, immigration policy & border control. So they vote for the politicians who agree with them on those issues rather than vote for a politician who disagrees with them on all of that stuff but has a more favorable abortion position.

I think I’ve said similar in this thread.

1 Like

It’s quite easy to “know” someone.
In middle school we had a girl who was widely known for having had an abortion. So anyone at the school would answer “yes” to “know someone who has had an abortion”. And that’s at age like 13?

I assume near everyone will have known someone with an abortion well into their adulthood.